The First Clue

I couldn't help but noticed some buildings leaned and trees had started to look greener. I was probably just imaging it all. We traveled down the highway then stopped as a number of cars blocked the way.

"Is there no other way to get to Seoul?" Hwanwoong asked from the backseat.

"Train. But I don't suggest it unless someone know how to operate a train." Dongju said as he backed up.

"Well, we could always walk it." Hwanwoong suggested.

"Let's ask the new guy since he drives." I suggested to make sure there absolutely weren't any other ways.

I got out the car then walked over to the blue car behind us. He rolled his window down with a knowing look.

"You wouldn't happen to know another way to get to Seoul by car, would you?" I asked, despite him already giving me a knowing smirk.

"Unfortunately, I don't. I don't travel like that." he said before looking at Keonhee. "You know a way?"

"Actually, I think I might. Gimme the reins, Geonhak." Keonhee said as he got out of the passenger seat.

"Geonhak?" I repeated.

"That's my name, don't wear it out." the guy said as he walked over to the passenger side.

I sighed as I walked back to Dongju's car. I explained to them what had happened and told Dongju to follow Keonhee. The car ahead of us took off and Dongju did the same.

"So the guy with Keonhee... his name is Geonhak." I said as I watched the car ahead of us.

"Geonhak? That sounds familiar." Dongju said as he kept his eyes on the road.

"Of course it does. Kim Geonhak, that upcoming soccer star." said Hwanwoong from the backseat.

I looked back at Hwanwoong who handed his phone to me. The guy in the picture resembled Geonhak in the blue car to a T. It then made sense why his attitude was shitty. He thought himself as superior. Geonhak was even ranked for handsomest men. Everything about Geonhak screamed arrogant, spoiled prick. I handed Hwanwoong his phone then sighed.

"We should've just left him." I said with a shake of my head.

"Was there a lot of bad publicity online?" Dongju asked curiously.

"No, but judging from his responses to people and his social media..." I said as I remembered a few tweets.

Keonhee suddenly made a right and ended up on the other side of the highway. Dongju braked and we all looked at the car.

"Well, it is another way." Hwanwoong said as he pet Carla.

"Will we follow? They already went on ahead." I asked Dongju.

"Might as well..." said Dongju as he turned right.

ㅠㅛㅠㅛ

Luck was on our side as we were able to get into Seoul with little trouble. Just like Chucheon, Seoul seemed eerily quiet. A piece of paper blew past as we drove around Hongdae.

"No one's here..." I said as I looked at the abandoned vehicles and stores.

"Wait!" Hwanwoong shouted, causing Dongju to slam on the brakes.

We looked at him as he typed on his phone.

"Really? You stopped us just-" Dongju started, but I silenced him as Hwanwoong put his phone to his ear.

"Who are you calling? Everyone is gone." I said softly.

Hwanwoong's eyes went from despair to shock instantly. His eyes welled up and he started to cry. Dongju and I looked at each other as Hwanwoong moved the phone from his ear and hung up.

"Hwan, I told you..." I said sadly.

"Go to 280 Guksang Ave." Hwanwoong said with his head lowered.

I motioned for Dongju to just go with it for now. After inputting the address, Dongju followed the GPS. We eventually arrived in front of a building and Hwanwoong had practically jumped out the car. I told Dongju to stay in case we needed to make a getaway. Hwanwoong opened the door with a key then hurried inside the building. I quickly followed him as it'd be bad if he went alone.

I wheezed as we had walked up to the fourth floor. Hwanwoong seemed to have boundless energy. I dragged myself to follow him and saw him rapidly pushing the buzzer.

"Hwan, are you-" I started then momentarily froze when I heard the sound of locks.

I ran towards Hwanwoong and pulled him away from the door with unease. The door opened and a flashily dressed man stepped out.

"Hwan!" he said.

Hwanwoong broke free from my hold and gave the man a hug. Were they friends? Family? Lovers? I could only watch in wonder as they continued to hug.

"You're okay... I thought I'd never see you again, Jo." said Hwanwoong as he pulled away.

"You couldn't imagine my surprise when I finally realized the strange silence and the fact that the couple next door had actually stopped arguing. Turns out no one was around." Jo had said.

"Youngjo, this is a serious situation. There are four other survivors besides us two. One of them is standing right there, another is downstairs waiting for us. Two more are in another car. We also reached a conclusion on how everyone disappeared." Hwanwoong rattled off as we made our way downstairs.

ㅠㅛㅠㅛ

"You never told us you were close friends with a known fashion designer, Hwan!" I said as Dongju drove around looking for a place to park so we could explore.

"You wouldn't have believed me if I said so." he replied with a shrug.

"We actually attended the same college for 3 years. Some things happened and I graduated before Hwan. I've been busy since then, but we met again at an event and the rest is history. To think we'd end up like this..." Youngjo said as he patted Hwanwoong's back.

Dongju parked the car and we all got out. I looked to Hwanwoong and watched as he walked away with Youngjo. I felt myself frown as I was looking forward to his company.

"Well, lets get a move on, Seoho." Dongju said as he walked in the opposite direction.

I glanced back at them before quietly following behind Dongju. I found myself wandering around as I hadn't really gotten the chance to explore Hongdae. I looked around then noticed I had gotten separated from Dongju. I backtracked and found myself more lost than before. I took out my phone and dialed Dongju's number.

"Dude, where are you?" Dongju's voice crackled as the wind blew into the mic.

"Uh, I don't know..." I replied before finding a street sign to repeat to him.

"Stay put. I'll come to you. Next time, don't wander off." Dongju scolded before hanging up.

I ducked into a store as I started to get hot. I looked around then noticed a variety of drinks off to the back. I did feel a bit guilty just taking without paying, but the world was in peril. I looked out the window then walked closer as I wanted to get a better look. I left the store then jogged over to the building across the street. Something green stuck out from under the building. I pulled on it then fell back. It was stuck under pretty well. I moved to pull on it again then screeched at the sight of it moving and growing.

"Seoho!?" I heard Dongju call out.

He stopped by my side then hit my arm. My mind was too focused on the now still green thing that poked out.

"Don't wander off on your own again. Something bad could've happened." Dongju scolded again before shaking me slightly. "Hey, say something."

"We're not safe..." I mumbled as I stood up and walked away.