04| Fake Detectives

Start from the beginning

"I'm not afraid."

"Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore."

Five removed his hands from his pockets and turned on his heel, heading for the door, ignoring his fathers shouts. Katherine stood up rapidly from her chair and felt a warm hand grab her wrist, she look down at Diego who was shaking his head and knew very well that if Katherine were to go after Five there would be consequences.

Katherine gave the boy an apologetic look before shaking him off and using her ability to run through the door and out into the street.

"Five? Five, where are you?" She screamed.

She couldn't see him. She ran down the street and around the block in search for her brother but he made no appearance.

"Five?" Katherine whispered her voice cracking and tears running along her cheeks.
Her small body collapsed on the cold concrete floor, she lent against the brick wall and curled her head into her knees letting out a river of tears for her lost brother.

———

Katherine and Diego pulled up to Griddy's Donuts, getting out of the car and making their way to the entrance as Diego pulled out a somewhat real-looking detective's badge and put it in his jacket pocket.

"When did this place become such a shithole?" Katherine sneered, her black heels clicking on the floor.

"A long time ago, you haven't been around here for a while, have you?" Diego asked.

"Not since I left the Academy." She sighed putting her hands in here jacket pocket as Diego held the door to the shop open and let her walk in front.

"Where did you go anyway? It's like I don't know anything about you since you left?" He frowned.

"That's because you don't." Katherine sighed. "But I guess that's my fault. I live in Vegas."

Diego stopped in his tracks, turning to face her and smiling widely.
"You moved to Vegas?"
Katherine nodded, cringing slightly.
"And how many hours of sleep do you get there?" He chuckled.

"Enough." She stated making Diego scoff.

The two were so lost in conversation they hadn't noticed the bodies around them.

"What the fuck happened here?" Katherine whispered making Diego turn round and gaze with wide eyes.
"Shit." He muttered.

Katherine looked over to an older woman dressed in pink hiding behind the counter.

"Excuse me, ma'am. We're here to investigate. Are you okay?" Katherine approaches the woman and put her hand on her shoulder comforting the woman as she stood up.

"You guys are the police?" The woman in pink asked.

"Yes, we'd like to ask you a few questions about what happened here. If you would just take a seat." Diego gestured to the chair by the counter as the woman took a seat letting out s shaky breath.