The Most Important Meal of the Day

I tend to go to cafes for breakfast these days. I’m out in the morning, dropping my daughter off at school, so it’s easiest to swing by a cafe and get some breakfast and write. You know it’s going to be a good day when you get some good words down first thing.

Breakfast is a tricky and personal thing, though. I want something fairly small that I can eat left-handed, since the pen is going to be in my right hand.

For a long time, my favorite breakfast was a muffin, but those don’t seem as ubiquitous as they once did. Then I went through a scone phase, but scones are usually too big or not big enough, too sweet or too dry. My favorite scone at the moment is the oat apple scone at the Mercury Cafe: fresh, filling, and beautiful.

My usual breakfast is a sesame bagel with humus, especially if I’m going for a long walk. A bagel sticks with me, so I’m not shaking by lunchtime. My favorite hummus comes from Java on Ocean, but it’s not good writing food. They make the hummus in the cafe, then sprinkle it with dried herbs and drizzle it with olive oil. It’s flavorful and rich and gets all over your fingers as you eat. The search for the perfect writing breakfast continues.

When is the best time for you to write?  Are you a morning person or can you grab a quiet hour over lunch?  Or are the quiet evening hours most productive for you?