Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

Jean's eyebrows shot up. "You have a boyfriend?"

"What did I just say," Lawson groaned, annoyed. Laughing, Jean moved forward to ruffle his hair before addressing Sean.

"Hello Sean Lawson's boyfriend who I did not know existed. It's nice to meet you. How do you put up with this idiot all the time?" Jean asked, and Lawson scowled at the other boy as Sean chuckled.

"Quite easily," he responded smoothly, and then one of his hands moved from Lawson's waist to shake Jean's hand. "You're the other tennis player, right?"

"This is correct," Jean answered. Lawson shot a glare over to Nathan and Glenn, hoping to show the two of them that he was greatly displeased with Jean's unexpected arrival, but they were unsurprisingly too caught up with one another to notice the gaze, talking softly and laughing with their heads close together. "I know, it's disgusting right?" Apparently Lawson's staring had been noticed. "Though this whole back hug thing you got going here is also kind of gross".

With a huff, Lawson brought his gaze back to Jean. "Why are you even here? Shouldn't you be studying for exams?"

"Those aren't for two more weeks for me. I'm fine. I actually wanted to come and visit Nathan, and catch up. I have a lot of new stories to tell him, you know," Jean claimed, and the way he said stories made Lawson grimace.

"You're disgusting".

"Instead of being a douche, could you do something else?" Jean inquired, tilting his head down to meet Lawson's eyes. He hated how tall he was. It was unfair.

"What?"

"Play me in a match?"

***

Jean hadn't played since the end of their last season, so he was rusty, but that wasn't to say it wasn't still a challenge. Years of intense practice didn't go away in twelve months.

Despite the difficulties, Lawson really wanted to win. He was desperate to, especially since he could feel Sean's eyes on him the entire time he played, noticing his every move and every mistake.

It was an intense match- it always was with the two of them- and Lawson could feel the sweat running down his temples, but still he grinned. He hadn't played an actual match since Jean had moved. It felt absolutely wonderful.

It was when Lawson pulled out the one handed backhand to score a game point down the line that Jean threw his head back and laughed. "You've been practicing, Murphy," Jean called. "I'm proud of you. My Protégé".

"Shut your face and give me the ball," Lawson instructed, though he was smiling. "It's my serve".

"Lord help me".

The final score was 6-4, 7-5, and after winning Lawson hugged Jean over the net with a laugh before going over to where Sean had been watching by the net post and laying down with his boyfriend's head in his lap. "I won just for you," Lawson assured, and Sean smiled as he pressed a water bottle against Lawson's lips. Obeying, he drank.

"I'm kind of angry with you," Sean said once he had finished drinking. Lawson's eyes widened. "You've been going easy on me".

Lawson laughed, and then turned his face to press it into Sean's abdomen. "You know, when I stand up they're will most definitely be an outline of me in sweat".

"That's really disgusting," Sean observed, but he didn't really seem repulsed by the idea since he immediately pushed his hand through Lawson's sweaty hair.

Jean joined them then, taking a seat next to Sean but facing the opposite direction, where Nathan and Glenn were playing a one on one game that consisted mostly of laughing. Lawson tipped his head back as far as he could to look at the other boy. "Do you miss it?"