The Corpse Husband // Part 2

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry about what I said."

You say, and he sighs before he keeps playing slowly.

"It's alright."

He says, obviously not keen on talking about it.

"L...I didn't mean that I never felt the same. I just.."

"It can't work, I know."

He sighs, and you do so as well before looking up.

"So...Let's just talk then. Theres a lot to catch up on."

You say, and he looks back to you before he silently accepts the offer, nodding. You could tell that he was still absolutely heartbroken, but had started to hide it as L normally did with emotion. In all honesty, it made you feel even worse. If he loved you enough to show it and tell you as clearly as he did...It must have been awful to have it not returned.

"So...What's happened since I've been gone?"

He finally asks after a moment of silence, and you shift before answering. That whole ordeal of the Kira case sure was a depressing one, that's for sure.

"Well, the task force disbanded after Kira was officially caught, and your successor has officially taken over headquarters and your name. After disbanding I myself was promoted to one of the chief officers of the NPA after officer Yagami passed...And Misa....Poor girl...She took her own life not long after news got out that Light had died. It was over for her anyway, seeing that she was the second.."

You trail off, as L's playing stopped. He was listening quite carefully.

"My successor...Have you met him at all?"

He asks, and you pause before answering.

"Yea. Briefly...We met a little while after you...Left. it was mostly based on discussing the case and what move to make next. But hes just a kid, L. Are you sure that he's able to live up to that legacy?"

"Yes. I'm sure of it."

He answers, not saying anything more.

"There was a lot of unnecessary death that went on during that case. Plain and simple. The only ones left out of the original team who havent left or died is just me and Matsuda now."

You say, forcing a little smile. Pausing after absorbing the small story, L then looks up before speaking.

"Is he still as much as an idiot as he was before?"

L asks in a small attempt to lighten the mood, and you shake your head as you laugh.

"Well, yea. But he means well. Plus, hes a pretty high ranking officer now that hes been promoted from manager."

You laugh, punching L's arm softly as you both smile.

"But...We miss you a lot. We miss the team."

You say, then look towards L.

"I suppose to most of the world you never died seeing someone took over so quick...Which is why I wanted to make that effort to come see you. I couldnt let you just be forgotten like that because I cared about you. I wish I could have told you that sooner.."

You sigh, and feel his hand on yours.

"The truth is, L..."

"(y/n), it's okay if you want to call me Lawliet...I'd actually prefer it."