Chapter Two

I woke up to my parents having a fit downstairs about the mess in the house. My head phones were wrapped around my neck in a dangerous way, so I escaped from the death trap got dressed and walked downstairs to enter the other one.

“How many times Maisie! How many times?” my mum is yelling. Her short blonde hair complimenting her rounded face, which was tinted red with anger. She heard me arrive. “And you! You’re supposed to be the oldest! Where were you in this situation!? You were supposed to stop this!” she roars at me.

Anger bubbles up inside of me. “What could I have done?! There were about 300 people here last night! You think one small person was going to stop all this?” I reply, rather flustered.

“Yes!” my mum bellows. “You were! All we wanted was a nice quite meal out!”

“Oh yeah mum, and how was your meal? Did you have a nice time? Cuz if you'd actually stayed home for one Friday night in your life, these parties that Maisie hosts wouldn't happen, and I wouldn't have to hide in library every Friday night just to escape the madness. I swear, you, dad, the coppers, you all have memory loss. Maisie has had a party here nearly every Friday night for the past year. But of course, you wouldn't know that would you, because you have been spending your Friday nights having lovely expensive meals out with dad and leaving the kids at home. Then letting the troublemaker kid get away free, while you blame the innocent one because supposedly she's older, and she should know best! But you know what mum; one year does not mean anything at all. Anything! Right, I'll be going to work now and I suggest you discipline your youngest child because you are gonna have a whole lot of trouble in your hands as soon as that pratt of a boyfriend Carter introduces her to drugs, and it’s gonna happen, happened to all his previous girlfriends. You need to actually give your child some attention. All this is,” I gesture around me wildly, “is a cry for help because you ignore your children. My emotions just come out in music, while Maisie's show out in her parties.” I looked at my gob-smacked mother, gave her a disapproving shake of my head, and then walked out the door, carrying my backpack over one shoulder.

I climb into my black Spider Ferrari, which I had left parked on the side of the road. Miraculously, it had managed to stay intact and clean which was a major contrast compared with the front garden.

Pulling up in the employee section of my local vets, I got out and greeted Jean, the older veterinary nurse who was on her break having a cigarette. “Hey Jean, busy today?”

“Nah, not too bad Ivy, but it’s still early,” she grimaced.

We worked at the local veterinary surgery of Doro Falls and like all the other vets around Great Britain, and probably the world, we always had the emergency calls when you didn't want them.

I worked at the reception, out the back and just did a bit of everything; this was because I am the 'Saturday girl'. It was a bit weird still being called that because I have worked her for at least two and a half years now. I first got the job after my year ten work experience that I did here. I didn't want to be a vet any more though. I lost that ambition when I actually experienced working in a veterinary surgery, but the pay was fantastic, and I enjoyed my job.

Logging onto the computer, I check the appointments we have today. Dianne, the vet, wouldn't be here till eight thirty when we opened and it was now eight fifteen, so I had fifteen minutes to relax before the chaos unleashes. By the time it was nine o'clock and the phones stopped ringing, we were fully booked with appointments.