SUNRISE

{trigger warning: butchering of the Japanese language, sexual content, mention of homophobic parents & abuse}

PSA: I've been practicing writing more sexual content (don't ask why) just to hone my skills?? Idk why but it's fun. If you don't like that kind of stuff, sorry. I'll put a tw on each one that has sex in it.

"Are you ready to try again?" Josh asked, settling himself across from Tyler at the foot of his bed.

It had to be one, two in the morning, but neither of them were tired. They'd been studying for tests and learning Japanese on and off all day. Josh had ordered pizza earlier so the only thing separating them was a box of Papa John's

"I think so," Tyler responded, tossing his notecards to the side. "I need to be fluent in Japanese by next month or your family will hate me."

Josh laughed at that, his voice striking Tyler's heart like a dagger. He tucked his feet underneath him and shuffled through his own notecards.

"Okay. Kōnā."

"That's easy. Store."

"Kakunō."

"Store."

"Denkyū."

Tyler paused, having to think about it for a moment. "Light...bulb."

"You sure?" The corner of Josh's lip quirked up but he fought it.

"Yeah, I'm sure," Tyler said, sitting up with faux confidence that made Josh snort. "Was I right?"

Josh smiled and dipped his head down so Tyler couldn't see. "Three out of three. You're getting better. Do you want to take a break? We've been at this for a while now, and I'm starving."

Tyler shook his head. "No, teach me more. We haven't spent time together in so long, and who knows how long we'll have until-" he stopped when he saw the look of distress on Josh's face.

They both knew that they didn't have much time left to be together before life ripped them apart. It was their senior year, Josh was leaving for California and Tyler to Rhode Island, both attending their dream colleges.

They'd been planning this week long trip to Japan for four years since they met, and finally found a spot for their spring break, their entire friend group- six of them in total- chipping in and saving as much money as they could to help pay. The rest that they realistically couldn't afford was covered by their parents.

It was almost unbelievable, the upcoming trip, and since they'd be visiting some of Josh's relatives while there, Tyler was cramming to learn Japanese.

"You really don't need to do this," Josh said for the thousandth time.

"I know, but I want to," Tyler replied. I would do anything for you, even if I am a coward, he said to himself, but not out loud. "Think of this as a shitty apology for all the times I left you behind."

Their relationship had taken an interesting turn in the past year. They went to prom together last year as a joke seeing how neither of them had nor wanted dates. The after party resulted in drunk confessions of love, mutual blowjobs, and an awkward morning after when Tyler woke up in Brendon's guest room with no clothes on, an equally naked Josh sleeping soundly on his chest.

In a fit of panic, Tyler abandoned Josh and proceeded to avoid him for a week and a half after that before the pain of being away from him became unbearable. That was the first but not the last time he would who was supposed to be his best friend.