Chapter 24

With his back to the wall, he didn't have much choice but to follow her lead, and so he did. With matching intensity. Pulling back to breathe as the touch of their lips became more heated, several thoughts crossed her mind, none of which involved ceasing and desisting.

For better or worse, that's when a movement in the hallway caught her attention.

"What the hell!" She yelped, hastily removing herself from Alex's lap.

"Don't stop on my account," Martin smirked. "Looked like you two were having a good go at it."

He was wiry and not much taller than Alex, with the physique of a runner. She hadn't expected him to have curly, copper hair or brown eyes, foolishly expecting him to look more like a younger, brawnier version of Dr. Stewart for some reason. But she recognized his voice and attitude right away.

The lean troll directed his attention to Alex. "Nice pull, mate. Mind if I have a try when you're done?"

Horrified, Sabrina stood up to vent her full wrath on the very unwelcome newcomer. "What? You want a piece of me?"

She didn't care how American gangster the question sounded, or how ridiculous it had to look for a short, blond-haired, pale-skinned girl to be mimicking the attitude and some of the gestures of a hardened rapper. She was angry enough to bask in the knowledge that she could kill him if she really wanted to. It was a heady rush, like someone was pumping her full of testosterone.

Sabrina walked right up to the glass plating and gave him her own onceover full of every ounce of loathing she felt. "It's really cute how you think you have what it takes to get anywhere near me."

His smile vanished. "Watch it," he warned, adding a word she knew existed but had never actually heard spoken before.

She felt dirty being called that and the same for being caught making out in such a vile place. But those feelings were overshadowed by the cold, murderous rage coursing through every particle of her body, mind and soul. It was all-consuming, and she didn't bother to fight it off.

"Want to prove that I am and you're not?" She asked with raised eyebrows and a demeaning smirk. "Why don't you come here then? Alex will stay out of it. It'll be you against me."

"Sabrina," her ex cautioned nervously. "What are you doing?"

She ignored him, not turning her attention away from Martin, one hand folding into itself, beckoning him to test her out. "Come on. Show me what you got. Because right now, I'm just not impressed."

She hadn't thought he'd be stupid enough to give in to her taunts, but it seemed that she'd overestimated him. He was totally hotheaded, his fingers trembling with unsuppressed rage while they danced a short waltz over the keypad.

The door swished open.

She tsked at him as condescendingly as possible. "I don't think you're supposed to know that code."

Alex had already stood up, but now he also stepped forward. "This is ridiculous. Stop it before someone gets hurt!"

It was way too late for reasoning though. Martin moved forward to take a swing at her, and Sabrina neatly sidestepped him. Grabbing his arm, she used his own momentum to snap the appendage in two. Jagged bone flecked with red protruded out of his skin, and more blood was oozing out around it.

For a split second of shocked silence, he stared at the damage.

So did she.

Then he started to scream.

The sound jolted Sabrina out of her violent high with the same intensity of someone dousing her with frigid water. One part of her wanted to beg for forgiveness. Another part wanted to run and get help. A third simply wanted him to stop screaming. Yet other than the shaking consuming her entire body, she couldn't seem to make herself move at all.