III

"Mary...Mary.."

        Mary felt a lite touch on her arm, it felt warm and comforting. Mary slowly opened her eyes and found Richard leaning over her a bit, his blue orbs reflecting Mary's face back at her. Mary blushed at this sight and quickly recalled her actions from earlier, she sat up with a look of embarrassment. Mary was about to apologize, but before she could Richard had put his hand on her head, comforting her. Richard smiled, Mary felt her heart throb, his smile could embrace you, wrap you around in his warmth and make you forget about everything else in the world.

"You don't have to apologize, but I would like to know what happened for you to act such a way," Richard questioned.

        Mary slowly put her gaze towards the ground, she heard Richard sigh.

"It's okay if you don't want to tell me, but at least look at me and not gaze downward as though you were a child who just got scolded."

        Mary looked up to still find Richard's gentle smile, Mary was relieved she didn't make Richard feel disappointed in her by not giving him an answer. Mary moved her legs off the davenport so she would now be facing Richard and gently patted the seat beside her. Richard chuckled by this action and took a seat next to Mary, making sure he wasn't too close or far away.

"I'll tell you, but you must never tell anyone else," Mary said in a serious tone.

        Richard picked up on this and nodded.

"My husband, James, and I got into a fight, I was baking cookies in the kitchen to thank everyone for trying to find my wedding ring, when he entered the room. He asked what the cookies were for, but I couldn't tell him I had lost my wedding ring, so I avoided that part and just told him I was making them for the neighbors and their children. James then started saying rude things about my cooking and I retorted back.."

        Tears started to form in the corners of Mary's eyes, but they were carefully wiped away by Richard's thumb, the look in Richard's deep, soothing blue eyes told Mary to continue whenever she was ready. She soon calmed down and took a deep breath in and began once again were she left off.

"As I was saying, at that point I retorted. Then James demeanor seemed to completely change. I felt scared, as if he might even do something to me. I then ran out of the house and soon saw you standing by your car," stated Mary.

        Richard just looked at Mary with a serious expression, soon turning and letting out a sigh while rubbing the spot in between his eyes. Richard had an annoyed expression on his face, never did Mary thought that she would ever see Richard with such a expression. Sure, she had not known him for long, but Richard seemed like that type of person who was so kind, generous and patient that he would never be annoyed or upset with anyone.

'Maybe he's just good at hiding it,' Mary thought.

"How could he even," Richard sighed, "Call himself a husband, he doesn't deserve that title and if I'm going to be truthful, he doesn't deserve a wife like you Mary if all he's going to do is talk down to you, hurt you and make you feel scared."

        You would think she would be angry considering he's bad mouthing her husband, but she didn't feel the slightest bit offended, more relieved that someone spoke the truth. Everything seemed so different when she was with Richard, he was the exact opposite of her husband. Richard was young, reserved, kind, generous, romantic and considerate, but most of all honest. Nobody had made Mary question her husband's actions before, she almost felt guilty talking about James like this. Richard's eyes raced towards the clock, it read 7:47 p.m. Richard rose from his seat and turned towards Mary offering a hand up from the couch.

"We should get you home now, I'm sure Miss Mandory is worried about you."

"Oh dear! I've been gone longer than what I thought," exclaimed Mary taking Richard's hand and hoisting herself up off the couch.

        They both made their way towards the door, Mary stopped and looked back towards the davenport with a concerned look.