6

**** "I really like all the side walks around here." Kaylee remarked, looking around. "I thought we'd be walking around in a lot of dust and mud and, and horse dookie."

'Horse dookie.' Beau started to chuckle but caught himself. "Well, it actually was that way when Rowdy and I were growin' up. But, we have always worked hard to keep the horses um, fragrant little gifts cleaned up as soon as possible. As for the sidewalks and asphalt we put them in when my youngest sister was about four. It accomodates her wheelchair and walker so she can get around and be more independent. She was spending too much time indoors and largely on her own. She was becoming too much of a loner and it was affecting how she felt about herself. You see, she was born with Spina Bifida. My older brother, Brett, myself, Rowdy, Yancy and another sister, Bobbi have all worked together to make things easier, more normal for her. We've taken care of her since she was born."

Eli looked confused and poked Ben in the arm and whispered, "What's Spina.... spina?"

"Spina Bifida," His step-dad whispered back, smiling down at the boy and gave a brief explanation of what he knew of the condition.

"I think I've heard of it, but I didn't know what it was." Then aloud Eli asked Beau, "Is that why she uses a wheelchair?"

"That's why," Beau answered easily. "She's usually in one of three wheelchairs depending on the terrain, and she's learnin' to use a walker now. We encourage her to use it as her legs and back muscles strengthen. She's becoming quite the gad about." He added, smiling with pride.

"Putting all that around, that's a really nice thing all of you do. How old is she? Will we get to meet her?" Kaylee asked hopeful that there might finally be someone else close to her age to hang with.

The cowboy looked down at her, "As a matter a fact I'm guessin' you ladies are about the same age. She's ten, be eleven in a couple months; and we like her to get out as much as she can. She's learnin' to do things around the ranch as her body strengthens and her balance improves. One of the things she does is to help Eve train by timing her barrel runs. Eve wants to be a champion barrel racer. Anyway, Ava seldom has anyone around her age to pal around with. I think you two are gonna be a good fit."

"Oooo, I hope so. I never have any girlfriends around. I love watching barrel racing. The horses get so close to the ground when they're turning around the barrels. I'd be too scared to do it but it's very exciting to watch. Do you think I can watch with her?"

Beau opened the door and stepped back, allowing room for everyone to enter the indoor arena. "I think she is gonna love that."

As soon as their eyes adjusted to the lighting both Eli and Kyle admired the wooden walkway that ran around the entire perimeter of the arena.

"You put all the wood sidewalk and lookouts in here too, so she can come in whenever she wants? It's really cool. That's sorta what Drina did for us from the very beginning." Kyle said.

"Yeah, we were kinda scared at first, and really sad after momma and daddy died". Kaylee explained. "I cried sometimes cause I missed them.... a lot."

Kyle added, "It was kinda scary sometimes, but Drina made sure we slept in her room. We could always see her from backstage. She made sure, we always knew where she was and that we'd never alone."

"She said she wanted to make sure we knew that. She was always there for us, she always made sure we were being taken care of and had what we needed." Kaylee added proudly.

"Yeah," Kyle added. If something came up like business meetings that we couldn't go to, she makes sure we're with Ben or Riley or some of the crew and when she'll be back."