Chapter Ten: Forced Fear

Start from the beginning

Then, not but thirty minutes ago, Klaus grabbed me and told me we were leaving. I found myself standing in front of the very school I hadn't seen for over six years. "What now?" 

"Now, we find Elena." He informed me, marching us into the school. "You are going to act terrified like this was the worst week of your life, and as though you think me a monster ready to rip your head from your neck the first chance I get." 

For a brief second, I felt sorry for him. He believed that this was how everyone should view him. Over the past week, I knew better. Klaus was terrible, almost as evil as they come with little regard for life, extremely paranoid, and a seriously concerning inclination to violence. Still, he had some redeeming features - he cared deeply for family, he valued loyalty, and he did save my life on more than one occasion. 

Then the second passed, my eyelids fluttered, and fear filled me. 

He was terrifying, just staring at me and with enough strength and bloodlust to tear me limb from limb in seconds if he so desired. His hand grabbed my arm in a vice grip and started dragging me to my old school, maybe to kill me and make my body a threat to Elena who would be attending tomorrow. 

Then I remembered that Senior Prank Night was always the night before the first day of school, meaning Elena was here and she didn't know the danger she was in.

"Elena! Elena run-" before I could finish my shout of warning, a hand clamped over my mouth, and I was pressed against the lockers. 

His eyes were staring into mine, his pupils contracting. "You will fear me in silence."

For the rest of the hunt, I didn't say a word, silent tears just rolled down my face. Then, as we stood in one hallway, Elena entered through the double doors at the opposite end. Klaus smiled, his grin, bloodthirsty and murderous. 

"There's my girl." 

"Europa! Klaus!" My sister's eyes locked on mine, I mouthed a single word. Run. 

She turned, her hair fanning out due to the momentum of her turn, but before she could take more than two steps, we were there, stopping her. 

"You are supposed to be dead. What are we going to do about that?" 

Klaus was going to murder my sister, and I could do nothing about it. 

Elena stared at me in fear, probably due to the emotion being plastered all over my face. "Please, you got me, leave Europa out of this. You don't need her." 

"Ah yes, but she is quite the entertaining human - gifted, beautiful, witty, strong-willed. I like her, I  think I'll keep her around. Besides, I think it would be poetic if you lost yet another guardian to me." I whimpered as he pulled me closer to his body. His grip had lessened, but I was far too paralyzed to try and remove myself from his grasp. 

Then he looked at Elena again, his other hand grabbing her. "You put a rather large kink in my plans, sweetheart. The whole point of breaking the curse and becoming a hybrid was to make more hybrids. I haven't been able to do that. Now my bet is, it has something to do with the fact that you're still breathing." 

Ever the brave soul, Elena glared right at Klaus, "If you're going to kill me, just do it!" Or maybe she was stupid, didn't he just say he thought that her death was exactly what he needed?

Klaus grinned and shook his head. "Not until I know I'm right. But I do have ways of making you suffer." For a moment, I thought his gaze went to her neck and anger flashed there but I must have been wrong. Klaus didn't know that Elena had the talisman. 

The three of us marched to the school gym, where a group of students was filling solo cups with water and leaving them all over the gym floor.

"Attention, seniors. You have officially been busted. Prank night is over. Head on home." He announced to the students and I looked up at him in shock. I thought for sure that he would kill all of them, maybe he wasn't so bad? 

Then, the fear crept back up on me. The past week had been the worst of my life, I needed to convince Elena of that, so she was properly terrified. "You two. I remember you." He was probably going to murder them. 

The girl furrowed her eyebrows and looked at Klaus in confusion. The poor thing didn't know she was facing a monster. "I'm sorry. Who are you?" 

Klaus gave her an easy smile. "Oh, don't worry, I wasn't in my right head last time we met. Lift your foot up, please, Dana." That wasn't as murderous as I thought it would be. Quite anti-climatic to be honest. Then he turned to the boy. "If she drops her foot, Chad, I want you to beat her to death. Understood?" There was the murderous tendency I knew he had. 

Elena looked at Chad in fear then back at Klaus. "Don't, Klaus. You don't have to hurt anybody."

His hand rested on my head, pulling it to rest stiffly on his shoulder. Then, he smiled. "Oh, come on, love. Of course, I do."