31. For us to go up front

Start from the beginning

"Sorry," she whispered, shaking her head. "I really needed to talk to someone. Anyway. I should have known. But I chose not to."

"Why does that someone have to be me?" he thought out loud and immediately regretted it. Malia stopped and so did he. He released her and took a step backwards, knowing he had screwed up. "I mean, I'm probably one of the worst choices for hearing anyone out. I don't know how to comfort you or anything."

Wrong words again.

"I don't need comfort, Layne." She looked weird. Tears stopped and her bloodshot eyes now had a fierce spark in them, which just didn't quite fit with the red stripes going down her doll-like cheeks. "I like talking to you because you don't immediately start jumping around me and treating me like a child. Like Alana does. Like everyone else does."

He turned away from her. He didn't even know what was she talking about. He was ready to go back to the more populated part of the village, tho.

Malia had other ideas.

Without the slightest warning, she leaned in her lips met with his. For a moment, Layne froze. He did not expect that. Once he came back to his senses, though, he pushed her away.

Malia looked at him wide-eyed. "Layne?"

He shook his head.

He turned around.

He left her standing there.

* * *

For the most part, Layne simply avoided Malia. Since they didn't live in one tiny cabin anymore, it wasn't that hard to do. He noticed her looking at his direction from time to time when they were close to each other, but he chose not to acknowledge it. She didn't do anything else, neither.

It was a pity. He had liked Malia. Not the way she apparently liked him. The way he loved his niece. He could only hope it would all be forgotten with time.

He was still in bed and the light outside the window had a purple tint to it. It had to be early. Even Coden, who'd usually wake up earlier than him, still laid in his bed. Wide-eyed, just like him. Layne didn't know what had wakened them up. They must have heard something.

They exchanged looks and didn't say anything. A high-pitched scream came from the outside and they jumped up. Layne glanced through the window but couldn't see anything unusual.

"What's happening?" asked Coden, putting on a denim jacket.

Layne shrugged and grabbed his own. He was still trying to get his arm into one of the sleeves when they ran out through the door. Just outside the house, everything looked calm but he sensed something not right. Even for an early morning, it was too silent. Too tense.

"Get back inside," he whispered but Coden didn't move.

Layne shook his head at him and was about to go look around when heavy footsteps sounded from around the corner. He jolted to their direction and saw Oscar, dragging one of the children by the hand.

"You're awake, good," he said in a hushed voice and pushed the weeping girl towards them. "We're under attack, take the kid and go get your other friends, we're trying to get as many people out as we can without them noticing."

He ran away and left them with a child. Just like that. The little girl sobbed quietly and bit down on her fingers. Layne only knew her from seeing her around with the other kids, but he was proud of her. She couldn't have been more than seven years old, yet she handled everything that was happening in a rather mature way.

Layne only wished he'd known what was actually happening.

"Run with her to the forest," he said to Coden.