Chapter 3

Previously...

"That" he begins breathily. "was fun."

I offer a laugh as I squat down next to Benjamin, a small Abnegation boy I'd found while running through the streets trying to get away from Will with my mom. Both his father and sister were killed while he escaped. "I'm alright, are you alright?" He nods his head and I smile as I plant a kiss on his forehead.

"Leader Tris." I look up to find Jack Kang waiting I turn to Alec and he nods his head.

"I've got to go Ben but I'll see you back at Dauntless, okay?" I nod my head and ruffle Benjamin's hair again before I leave the two and follow Jack to the holding cell.

And now...

Flashback...

It's only been a week since Max's trial. Jack Kang appointed Helen, Max, and Alec as leaders hoping to help the faction "How did you come across the Erudite plan to attack Abnegation?" I sigh as I lean forward

"Every once and awhile I would hear some of the higher ups talking about it and I wasn't the only one who noticed the odd behavior." I admit.

"Who else noticed?"

"Four. He's the one who found out about the entire plan, but it was to late to warn anyone by the time he did so." Max nods his head before pressing his face into his hands.

"I hate the idea that this could happen again at anytime and I won't be able to do anything." He mutters.

"What do you mean?" I ask him as I look over at Alec and Helen.

"None of us are Divergent, we can't fight the serum the only one who can is you." He states as he looks over at me rubbing his chin. "Hell, even Four can't fight the stronger serum and if I'm to bet, your stronger than him that means you'd probably be able to fight it off too."

I shrug my shoulders. "Well I don't know, because I was shot they tried to kill me instead of using me as a guinea pig and I'd rather not test it. Any way all of the serum is to be disposed of by order of Candor and Abnegation."

Max nods his head. "Yes, but the Erudite are smart. They will find a way to continue their work and if they secede then we'll have a problem on our hands." He points to me. "But you won't."

"I agree with where you're going Max." I look over at Helen to see her smiling at me.

"Um do you mind letting me in on this little idea too?" Alec's asks, and I nod my head.

"Yeah what are you talking about I don't get it."

Max smiles at me. "We're going to make you a permanent leader of Dauntless." He states calmly, and I feel my stomach drop.

"What?!"

"Your more than qualified and being Divergent will help if we ever have another problem with magic control serum." Alec offers as he nods his head in agreement. "I like it."

"I don't. Max I'm nowhere near leadership material and I don't even think everyone else will be okay with this." I offer as I look around that everyone.

"It doesn't matter what they all think. While our trials were going on you took perfect care of this faction and you can continue that work now and after." Max states calmly.

Helen's smooth voice reaches my ear. "Being in leadership may sound like a scary job but really it's just making sure the faction has enough food, taking care of faction affairs, transporting leaders, watching over the factionless, and training the initiates."