Chapter 15: Fighting the Shadows

A/N: Hi everyone, I'm finally back!!

I'm so sorry with how much of a delay this chapter was, it was quite the pain to write and the craziness that's been happening in my life lately hasn't helped. I've been busy as hell, and that along with some other things have taken up a ton of my free time X_X

But with all of that said and done, we're finally here! I want to thank you all again so much for the amazing kindness and support that you always show me!! It's mind blowing to me how many people have seen my work, and watching people get excited for the chapters to come makes me so happy and motivated. Thank you everybody! <3

I hope you enjoy this chapter of Fatal Dreaming!

---

Minor Chapter Warnings:

- Mentions of anxiety

- Minor PTSD? (Lots o' fear cause by memories, that's for sure)

- Very emotional

---

An extremely sharp intake of breath, almost enough to cause a sharp pain in his lungs, is what once again woke Adrien up from chaotic fiction into the silent darkness of reality. It took him a few minutes to refresh himself of his surroundings and calm his racing heartbeat, but in the dim moonlight filtering through his window, he could barely make out Plagg coming over and floating just above his gaze.

"Hey buddy, your breathing got really heavy in your sleep again," he commented. "Another nightmare?"

Adrien rubbed his heavy eyes with the back of his hand and nodded, sitting up with his now usual ache in his side.

He replied to his kwami, "Yeah, but that's the fifth night in a row that it's happened again..."

A strange occurrence had begun to happen.

It felt like an everyday standard had suddenly broken. He had now grown so accustomed to the chance of terror every time that he slept, that Adrien was shocked by the sudden switch in his visions. Not just that, in fact, but Fatal Dreaming as a whole! His scar had stopped growing or hurting him ever since he got to the hospital, he hadn't had any threatening hallucinations or panic attacks, and despite not having the Master's pills, well...

"She didn't die."

Plagg nodded thoughtfully. "Yeah, you've been mentioning recently how Mari's suddenly been surviving in your dreams, when she which used to never happen. I've actually been putting a bit of thought into this, and may have come up with a possible solution."

The curious blonde raised his eyebrow. It wasn't often that his cat-like friend took things this seriously, but he supposed when his life was at stake, a change as sharp as that was in need of further thought.

"Oh yeah? What do you think?" Adrien asked in return.

He flew closer and pointed a small arm to his master's chest. "The Lucky Charm," he answered. "It's known for being an object of pure good fortune, even if the ladybug Miraculous isn't active. I think it's been the main cause of how your luck lately has been, well... terribly notable."

The teenager raised a hand to his chin in thought. He had wondered about the spotted object too, and felt almost certain that Plagg wasn't wrong.

"Think about it!" he continued. "First of all, you managed to avoid dying when you were pretty darn close to it, and have had such a fast and abnormal recovery that the doctors are all shocked! And then whenever you try to sleep, the curse never affects you. The charm is right on top of it, so it could be acting as protection in some sort of way!