Loss

My heart hurt. Today was a day where I had a lot of me-time, time to think about anything and everything. But, my mind had only been on one thing all day. Abby.

I had lost Abby a few months ago. It broke me, severely. I still struggled with the sadness, pain and grief daily. More on some days than others, like today.

Sighing, I fidget with the necklace I was wearing. It had a small amount of Abby's ashes in it. The rest was on a box on my nightstand, with her collar on top of it.

The front door opens, and I look up from my pendant. Matt was home, I assume, and he would probably come to check on me soon.

"Kitty! I have Starbucks!" He calls out cheerfully.

I just frown. A small part of me was kind of mad at the fact that he was happy. I shouldn't be, though. He didn't know.

Getting up from my bed, I release the small heart with a dog paw on it. Right before I open the door, something catches my eye. Looking over, tears start to pool. Memories flood my mind.

Abby's bed sat unused and untouched in the corner, mocking me in a way.

My door opens, and Matt probably looked surprised. I was just standing in the middle of my room, head turned to stare at something obviously upsetting in the corner.

"Kitty? Are you- Oh." He cuts himself off, noticing what was making me cry.

He sets my drink down on a table I had by the door before pulling me into a hug. I accept the gesture, hugging him back tightly as I bury my face in his chest.

"I know you miss her. I miss her too." Matt coos, petting my hair with a hand.

I sob, leaning into him. I missed her. Too much.