CHAOS THEORY.

an elodie verbeck story.

  ❛ but you and I were never really normal, were we? ❜  

ON THE TWELFTH HOUR OF THE FIRST DAY OF OCTOBER 1989, FORTY-THREE WOMEN AROUND THE WORLD GAVE BIRTH.

This was unusual only in the fact that none of these women had been pregnant when the day first began.

Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer, resolved to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible. In the end, he got seven of them.

ON THE SIXTH HOUR OF THE SECOND DAY OF OCTOBER 1989, A HEALTHY BABY GIRL WAS BORN AND PROMPTLY PUT UP FOR ADOPTION.

This was unusual only in the fact that less than twenty-four hours later, she was given a new home and name, a miracle in the tiny village of Chile. But aside from her first day on Earth, Elodie Verbeck was a very normal human being.

Aside from crappy family values, she could not be more ordinary. She woke up just as the sun was at its brightest, only to work a mediocre job 'til it had long-since fallen. She called her brother when she could and cried when she couldn't, and when she remembered to take a break, ate microwave noodle packs as though they were ambrosia sent straight from the heavens. She argued with a man who was only her father on paper and rolled her eyes at the snippy statements her grandmother passed off as 'loving advice', and plodded through each waking moment in hopes that the next might be a little bit better.

(unfortunately, they rarely got better, but that was the fault of life and maybe not her own)

But despite living a completely average, despicably ordinary life, she still remained a rather curious individual, only in the sense of her lack of desire for anything at all but mere survival. It was as though she had no roots at all; nothing but a name and a half-assed smile she only put on when it was absolutely necessary. She had no close friends, and the only people she could say even slightly knew her were coworkers who had practically forced their way into her life. But even then, could they say they even knew anything past a name and number?

Elodie was an anomaly, a loner that stuck out like a sore thumb in a largely-miserable city, designed to make someone want to never be alone again. But she eagerly chose the shadows and the streets ne'er taken, and sneered her way out of any chance at a friendly conversation - save when it was essential for her own survival.