【CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE】

—chapter thirty-one.

 ❛ haven't you ever heard of teamwork? ❜  

THERE WERE TWO NEW PIECES OF INFORMATION THAT ELODIE was given by a certain Klaus Hargreeves, about the infamous Hargreeves family that sunny morning.

One was that everything she thought she knew about their emotional and honestly, physical abuse dealt out by their heartless father was just a fragment of the devastation. Klaus' voice was as airy as a cream puff as he regaled her with 'fun childhood memories', but each tall tale ended with a waver and the realisation for both of them that everything had a horrifically red glaze to it. Even the so-called good times. 

Sure, she knew Diego's pain and what he did not share she could only assume -- but it took meeting Klaus for her to realised the full extent. And it terrified her, knowing she was very nearly in that same place eight years prior, barely surviving without a foreign substance pumping through her veins and terrified of what happened when she fell again. But she at least had Ellis to keep her sane -- none of the siblings shared as close a bond. Nothing even close. They were pushed out into the world as alone and broken as they came in and no one had given a shit. It was a wonder, they had come as far as they had.

The second, was that Klaus really loved his brother -- and his family as a whole. Even after everything that had happened. Maybe that one hurt more.

"...and you know," he continued, a small laugh echoing through the otherwise silent vehicle, "before, Luther wasn't even that big! Just bigger than the rest of us...but then he went off to the moon, and came back, ha -- came back a giant. A giant moon-lover! C'est drole!"

Elodie's brows furrowed in thought. "I think, actually...was that the behemoth guy at your place, that time I dropped off your coat? That was Luther?"

"Yep." Diego's voice was cold.

"Mm-hmm."

Klaus whistled in the back. "And here I thought this was a long-lost romance! Diego, you didn't tell me you two had rekindled--"

"--we hadn't," the two echoed in sync. "And we're not."

His eyes narrowed, glancing between the two of them like he was waiting for one to break. "And...so you've met more of us lovely disasters, Elodie?"