CHAPTER NINETEEN - Blood Lust

Start from the beginning

"It is unusual, but I will allow it. I will ask you to be in your original form please."

Timber Turned and Lord Frost opened the door. Timber recognized her face immediately. So did Henry. They stared at her with deep sadness. Timber walked up to her slowly and the girl got out of the chair. Timber sat down and let the girl hold out her hand to pet her. Then Timber whined. Lord Frost took her and Henry out of the room and Timber Turned back.

"It's Sarah Beth," she said. "She's a descendant of Thatcher."

"Someone you know?" asked Lord Frost.

Timber quickly explained her family history to Lord Frost and the two connected branches of the Brogan tree and the Thatcher tree.

"Come inside," he said.

They went back into the room and Henry sat across from her with Timber beside him. The child was coloring with Aiyanna.

"Sarah Beth, this is Henry. He is a Lord, like me. Beside him is Lady Timber."

"Timber?" said Sarah Beth. "Mommy told me about someone in the family named Timber."

"I am your family," said Timber. "We're cousins."

"We don't look the same," observed Sarah Beth.

"We're from different branches of the same tree," explained Timber.

"Like a lemon-lime tree?" asked Sarah Beth. "Mama said lemons and limes are different but when they are the same tree they mix together and make something yummy."

"Yes, we're exactly like that," said Timber.

"Is that why we're different colors? Mama didn't tell it to me."

"You know how God used his paints to make the flowers different colors because they're so pretty that way? God loves us so much he made us different colors."

"Like the flowers?"

"Like the flowers."

"Mama would have liked that," said Sarah Beth. She began crying.

"What happened to her?" asked Henry gently as Timber wrapped her arms around her little cousin.

"A big thing came out of the trees when we were getting out of the car last night," said Sarah Beth. "Daddy came outside to save Mama but the thing hurt him too. Then it hurt me. Uncle Remus shot the - the thing and took me to the hospital. I was there for a while. Then Frosty came."

Timber looked at Lord Frost with a small grin and a raised eyebrow.

"All of the small children call me Frosty. I really do not mind," he said.

"Am I going home soon?" asked Sarah Beth.

"There is no one who can properly care for you now, but we can. You are safe here," said Lord Frost. "Queen Aiyanna will take you to your room for tonight where she will also give you medical care. You will have any dinner you would like and you will have a warm bath and a comfortable bed. Tomorrow will be a big day for you. We will ask you questions. Then you will be given to a guardian who will act as your new mother or father. Do you understand, Sarah Beth?"

"Yeah."

Sarah Beth followed Queen Aiyanna out of the room. Timber fell back into a chair.

"Sarah Beth," Timber said heavily. "Can't I take her?"

"I would like to say yes, especially since she is your family but there are six women waiting for a child to care for," said Lord Frost. "If they are not compatible, then I promise I will come to you."