Epolouge

"Alright, you! It's time for school!"

Timber was wrestling over blankets with Renegade one cold December morning. While he was almost twice Timber's size in his wolf form, Timber could still overpower him. She waited until he relaxed slightly and then pulled all of his covers off and tossed them on the floor. He sat up and growled at her in protest.

"Don't you take that tone with me, young man," said Timber firmly. "Get out of bed and get yourself ready for school and no, you cannot go to class in your wolf form. Come on! It's the last day of school before break! You'll have two weeks to sleep in." Renegade lowered his ears. "I will dump ice water over your head if you don't get out of bed right now."

Renegade got out of bed grumbling and Turned. He was tall for a boy of nearly ten years with hazel eyes and sandy blonde hair like his father but his round face resembled more of his mother. His hair was full and bushy like his mother's and he usually left it messy instead of brushing it. His lean build was deceptively powerful so he was forced to hold back when playing at school with his friends. He looked up at Timber and she crossed her arms. He openly decided not to argue so he opened his closet.

Timber made sure he wouldn't get back in bed by stealing his sheets and his pillow and then she left the room to let him get dressed. She left his sheets in a pile beside the door and walked down the hall to join Henry for breakfast. Henry had aged some since he opted to give up his immortality. He still looked young but his sandy hair was turning grey in some places. He smiled at Timber when she sat down.

"Stubborn again this morning?" he asked.

"Very stubborn. Especially for a Friday," said Timber. "He gets it from me, though."

"Yes, he does," teased Henry and Timber stuck her tongue out at him. "So is everyone coming over tonight?"

"Yes, all the RSVPs are in and they all said they're coming," said Timber happily, brushing her hair out of her face. "I can't believe he's turning ten. It makes me feel old."

"Imagine how Lord Frost feels," said Henry, cracking a grin behind his coffee cup. Timber laughed in spite of herself.

"Mom, I can't find my backpack!" said Renegade, coming out in his favorite jeans and t-shirt.

"It's on the hook by the door where it's supposed to be," replied Timber. "I've told you before if you keep dropping it all over the house, you're never going to remember where it is. That's why it goes by the front door. Now, come have breakfast."

Renegade sat down beside his father and took some ham and eggs.

"Are you ready for your math test today, Renegade?" asked Henry.

"I think so," said Renegade. "I was up kind of late studying last night."

"You know, you can ask us for help with your math homework," said Henry. "We know math too."

"Dad, you teach history," said Renegade with a mildly sarcastic grin he was trying and failing to hide.

"If you don't feel confident in my ability to do math why not ask your mother? She does math every day."

"I don't see Mom sitting down doing math," said Renegade. This made Timber and Henry both burst out laughing.

"When I buy groceries, I use math to figure out how much I'm spending and how much I have left in my budget," said Timber. "When I cook, I have to measure things out and sometimes I have to add or subtract, even multiply or divide fractions in my head. Math is part of my everyday life. I'm pretty sure I can help you with your math homework, Honey."

Renegade blushed and went back to eating his breakfast. Timber smiled at Henry and cleaned up her empty plate. When Henry and Renegade cleared their plates, she took their plates, too. She cleaned up the rest of the table as Renegade started getting his shoes on his feet. His face suddenly fell and he looked up at his parents.