"Oh, yeah. I have to work Christmas Eve and the 26th, so I can't get up north to see my family. We're having a get together at some point in January instead." She shrugged, most of her focus on the baby who was comfortable in her arms, falling back into dreamland.

"Stop over here on the 25th. My mom, stepdad, and brothers will be in town, and we're eating around 7:00. You should join us." It was a casual offer – like asking your childhood friend to come to Thanksgiving. That's what it felt like for both of them.

"Sure, I'd like that. Thank you."

Christian smiled. "Ivy is going to be thrilled to have her best friend at dinner."

***

"So my friend is coming to dinner in a bit . . . Please don't mention anything about baseball. She doesn't know I play it. She doesn't really know much about me period. Just be . . . regular," Christian informed his family as they sat around the living room. God, they were so far from regular. Dead wife. Beauty pageant mom. Baseball. So. Much. Baseball.

"She?" Alecia asked, picking up on the pronoun while feeding Ivy. "Isn't it a little soon to . . ."

Christian cut her off. "She's my friend, mom. My neighbor. That's it. I've never even so much as hugged this woman. But she's my friend, nonetheless, and she's important. Her name is Elizabeth."

"Well, I for one, am glad Christian has friends," Collin joked.

"She's probably super hot. All of Christian's friends are super hot," Cam added.

"Cam, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Don't start with any of that shit." Before Christian could finish his lecture, there was a soft knock on the door. She always knocked exactly the same way. He would have known it was her even if there were other expected guests.

"Regular," he finished before meeting his friend at the door. "Hey you," he greeted her, honestly elated to have her here with them – a break from the chaos that was his overbearing family.

"Hey," she said softly, stepping into his apartment. "I brought some cranberry-orange sauce. My mom always makes it, so it's a little piece of home."

He smiled and took it from her, unaware that later he would eat almost all of it in one sitting. "Thank you. You didn't have to bring anything."

"I wanted to," she said with a smile.

"Come meet my family," Christian beckoned after placing the sauce in the kitchen.

"Hey everyone, this is Elizabeth. Elizabeth this is . . . everyone. My mom, Alecia. My stepfather, Tom. My brothers, Collin and Cameron."

Everyone returned the introduction and gave her smiles, but, for Elizabeth, it felt a little off. Throughout dinner, it felt even more off. There was a moment when Ivy wouldn't stop screaming that was especially awkward. Christian took the crying baby from his mom, took a lap around the house in an attempt to calm her, but nothing worked. He then returned and asked Elizabeth if she wanted to give it a try. "Sure," she said softly. She could feel their glares, and she hated the judgment, but she didn't want to leave her friend hanging. Christian didn't notice the discomfort. He was too occupied with trying to make his sweet angel happy.

Instant calm, as was always the case in Elizabeth's arms. This time it seemed even more immediate than usual. Alecia's dirty look didn't go unnoticed.

Elizabeth knew she had to stay composed for the sake of Ivy, so she focused all her attention on the baby in her arms. It didn't take the sweet babe long to doze off. Eventually, everyone resumed eating their dessert and largely ignored her. In fact, the only person who really talked to her at all throughout the entirety of the meal, apart from Christian, was his brother, Collin.

She tried not to judge. She knew how the situation looked. She knew she looked like a silly girl who was trying to play house, even though that wasn't the case at all. Babies were part of her expertise. She offered Christian help with the car seat because she knew exactly what she was talking about. Not to take advantage of a depressed, single man. A relationship with him had never entered her mind, and she didn't even want to be a mom. Her work was just too important.

It didn't really matter what they thought of her, though. She probably wouldn't have to see them again, and all that truly mattered was that Christian was okay.

Shortly after dessert, her phone buzzed. She looked at the text, and she knew she had to book it to work.

Allison Potts needs an emergency c-section. I'd like you to observe. Get here quickly.

She moved an arm to tap Christian on his knee beneath the table, perhaps the first time she had ever really physically touched him; she didn't have a choice considering the crowded context. "I have to go," she whispered.

"What? Why?" he asked. He didn't want her to go anywhere. She was holding him together, even if she didn't know it.

"Work emergency," she explained vaguely.

Christian nodded and Elizabeth stood up. Christian then followed her and the baby to the door. "Your family is really nice," she said softly as she transitioned Ivy to her daddy's arms.

It was a white lie, but he didn't need to know what his family thought of her. He just needed to focus on his little girl. "I'll see you soon?" he asked.

"Of course," she said with a small smile.

"New Year's Eve, maybe? Get together at my place with some friends? I think you'll like them."

"I'll let you know. If work stays quiet, I'll be there."

"Good," he finished. "Have a good, safe night."

He gave her something that resembled a hug – the best he could do with a baby in his long arms. It was a first.

When he returned to his family, they all stopped talking and stared at him.

"What the hell was that, Christian?" His mother asked him, tone direct and extremely annoyed.

"That was my friend coming over for dinner and then leaving to go to work." Christian shrugged, taking his seat.

"She's a bit of a hambeast," Cameron said with a smirk. Collin immediately smacked him, and Christian appreciated it . . . because all he could do was glare.

"What are you talking about? She's super pretty. Nice, healthy body. Looks athletic," Collin said. "Not everyone who isn't a model is a hambeast," Collin rationalized.

Cameron just shrugged. "I'm just saying she ain't a dime."

"She's an easy 7 – 8. You're a 3, asshole," Collin added.

"How about you both just stop objectifying my friend," Christian sighed. "And I'm going to put Ivy down for the night."

And that's what he did. He got Ivy ready for bed. When he rejoined his family, he mostly just spaced out, all thoughts returning to Sloane.