xvi. 𝙞 𝙝𝙤𝙥𝙚 𝙬𝙚 𝙢𝙚𝙚𝙩 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣.

Start from the beginning

Blood seeped onto June's tongue. She made sure Emerson was staring straight at her before she spit his flesh back at him, blood spewing and hitting him directly in the face. She grinned sickly, watching him clutch the wound she made, his blood staining her lips. The victorious smile dropped when Emerson's fist came down, striking June in the side of her face, her head snapping to the left. Her head is spinning, her ears are ringing, and pain is blossoming where he had punched her. June is unable to fight back when he brings the gag around and tied it firmly. She has no choice but to bite down on it and wait.

The radio clipped to Emerson's belt hummed with static before a familiar voice filled the silent room. "Emerson, I know you're here. We need to talk." June picked her head up weakly at the sound, recognizing Clarke.

Emerson paused from where he was wrapping the deep bite June made with a bandage he must have taken from the bag she was packing. He didn't seem too surprised, unclipping the walkie and lifting it. "I don't need to do anything. You should've killed me when you had the chance," he threatened.

"And now you're here to kill me," Clarke replied. June could hear how calm she was, just as ready as she was to die for them. "Is that it?"

Cold eyes from Emerson landed in June and she tensed at the look. "Something like that," he drawled.

"Then let my friends go," Clarke bargained. "Do that and you can have me."

"You're brave, Clarke, I'll give you that. Not too different from your good friend June," Emerson commented. "They're all lucky to have a friend like you both." June could see the smile on his face, how he thinks he must have won. She didn't want to believe he did just yet. "Come to the airlock, no weapons. Right now," he ordered.

The few minutes it takes is agonizing. The spot in which Emerson had punched June was beginning to sting worse, obviously leaving a bruise, when she heard soft footsteps approaching. She tried to lift herself and peek around the corner, but June can't see from her position. "I held out my part of the deal," Clarke called out. "Your turn. Let my friends go."

"Tell Bellamy to show himself first," Emerson told her in a bored tone, standing straight and tall, but June can see he's shaking with rage as if it was taking him all of his strength to not kill them all on the spot.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Clarke responded calmly.

Pulling out a knife behind his back, Emerson brings the handle down, smashing it against Octavia's side. She cried out, causing her brother to reveal himself with a shout. "No!"

"Okay." Emerson pulled Octavia's head back, exposing her throat, and pressing the blade of his knife against her skin. "Now, take out the clip and throw it down the hall. Put the gun on the ground and get inside."

"Please," Clarke begged before June can hear Bellamy comply. "You wanted me. I'll get inside once you let them go."

Emerson's expression darkened when Clarke cut in. "I was talking to Bellamy," he sneered, pressing the tip of his knife down and started to drag it across. Octavia gagged, blood dripping from the slit he made.

"Okay, okay! Just stop!" Bellamy desperately called. Emerson paused but kept the knife still.

"Don't do this," Clarke pleaded with Bellamy, who ignored her, emptying his rifle and sliding the clip and gun across the floor. Soon, he appeared in June's sight at the opening, both of his hands up, surveying the room. She bit down on the gag harder, tears of fear building up. If Emerson wanted to break them all before killing them, he succeeded.

There's a pair of handcuffs hanging on the wall that Emerson nodded to without releasing Octavia. "Those are yours," he tells him. Bellamy carefully walked around him, slapping the cuffs around his wrists and clicking them into place. Once he's locked, Emerson let go of his sister to turn back to Clarke, sheathing the knife and instead pulling out a pistol. He pointed the barrel at her. "Get on your knees, Clarke." There's a quiet thud as she obeyed him. "Put your hands behind your head."