The Family Business

Start from the beginning

He kicked out his other leg, knocking the children over. Before he could kill them, Batman returned.

Batman pushed the man back. Robin helped Sparrow to her feet, then went to join the fight. Sparrow shot out her arm, holding him back. Robin glanced up in confusion; Sparrow narrowed her eyes at the duel.

She recognized the style. It was hers. Not exact, but close. She recognized the lapse. Heretic.

But he wasn't supposed to be back for another week. He got sidetracked with another mission while he was out of town.

The mission was planned to be a week long, but plans do change. Could he have finished early? Is this Heretic?

The man fought with rage, making him sloppy but not sloppy enough.

"Die, you bastard!" he bellowed. He pulled out a knife from his sleeve, close enough to do damage. Batman threw a bat-a-rang, knocking the knife out of his hand.

Batman pushed him back, retreating to his two young partners.

It was a stand off. Everyone was tense, ready to fight, hands in fists, eyes trained on the enemy. Every move attracted attention, and fingers twitched for weapons.

But it was still.

"You'll pay for what you did, you coward!"

Sparrow recognized the voice and asked, "Heretic?"

His stance faltered. "D- Daire, is that- is that you?"

"Yes." She dropped her fighting stance, as did their opponent. The dynamic duo stayed tense, ready for a fight.

"You're alive?"

"Yes."

And with- with him?"

"Yes."

Eyes darted to the Batman and back to her. "But- But why?"

Batman's gaze went to the signal in the sky. Gordon needed him; they didn't have time for this. He was already behind schedule.

"Go," Sparrow relieved. "He won't hurt me. I got this." Without a word, Batman nodded, firing a grappling hook and taking off. "You, too," she said to Robin.

Robin didn't want to leave Sparrow, but something told him this was personal. While he usually a nosy person, he'd let his sister have this moment. He planned on bombarding her with questions later, anyways. What's a few more?

He, too, left.

When they were alone, Heretic repeated, "Why?"

"Because of Damian."

"But Batman killed-"

"No, he didn't. My brother is alive."

Heretic's gaze fell upon Robin's retreating form, glaring. "That traitor is not your brother."

And it hit Daire all at once.

"You knew," she breathed, shocked.

"The Damian you knew is dead, buried by the Batman and forced to take a different road. The Damian you knew wouldn't hesitate to kill, remember? He was ruthless, cunning, and always went straight for the kill. That boy is not your brother. Not anymore."