The Choice

AN: Okay, I did have a better beginning written out, but somehow lost it. So I know the beginning two paragraphs are horrible, but I didn't feel like rewriting the scene. Sorry and hope you enjoy anyways.

~ The Choice ~

Patrol had been uneventful- until she showed up.

While the other Leaguers fought Batman and Nightwing, Sparrow and Robin chased after her. She lead them down alleyways and across rooftops. She lead them past skyscrapers and the park. Eventually, she lead them into the sewers.

Having her children right where she wanted them, Talia stopped.

"Surrender, Mother," Damian ordered.

"Unlikely, son. I have a proposal." The siblings exchanged a skeptical glance but decided to hear her out. "Come with me. It's time to come home, Damian, Daire. It's time to make your grandfather proud."

Neither child responded, remaining silent.

"It's what you were raised for. It's your destiny," she continued, knowing she had their attention. 

"We don't kill," Daire reminded.

"Not anymore," Damian agreed.

Talia sighed, "Your father's teaching, no doubt. But I can fix that with time. Come home, children. Damian, your father will join us soon. Let's be a family. A real family."

"What kind of family kills ruthlessly?" Daire questioned.

"A family that kills together stays together." It was a saying they had heard before. Once up in a time, they believed it, lived it.

"Or ends up killing each other," Daire twisted.

Talia glared. "I am your mother. I know what's best for you. I know your destiny! Come. Come with me. Fulfill the destiny you were born for, bred for, trained for."

"No," Damian denied, bluntly.

"Join me or die."

"Or opinion three: capture you!" Nightwing offered, swinging into the area. Talia dodged him easily, and Nightwing landed gracefully between Damian and Daire. "Did I miss anything?"

"Nothing important, Grayson," Damian reported.

"Leave, Talia. You're not welcomed here," a deep voice commanded. Suddenly, he was just a few feet behind her.

"Beloved," she smirked, her voice oddly soft. "It's been a while." She spun around on her heals, facing the Dark Knight. She sauntered forward, leaning into him. Batman made no move to embrace her.

"Enough, Talia. Leave Gotham."

"Return my children."

"They've given their answers. They don't want to go with you. Now leave."

"I am their mother!" she pressed but didn't scream. "I raised them. Don't you think I should get to see them?" She raised her hand to cup his cheek.

Batman grabbed her wrist, pulling it away. "You forced them to kill. I won't have my son or his sister be killers."

"They've killed before, Beloved."

"Now they know better."

She lifted her other hand, cupping his other cheek. "I've missed you, Beloved. How about this: If you join me, I'll leave them alone."

"I'm not joining you."

"Then I'm taking my children back." Her voice stayed steady, calm. It was unnerving.