|6.| great aunt gertha is allergic.

"WAKE UP WILMA

"WAKE UP WILMA." Poppy shook her daughter several times before she finally jolted awake. Wilma's hands flailed around and she accidentally hit her mother in the face. "Bloody Hell Wilma!" She backed up from the girl. Wilma covered her mouth, part of her was trying not to laugh, and the other part was worried she had hurt her badly. "Are you okay?" Wilma asked and she nodded. "I was waking you because we need to go to the shop today." Wilma's smile faltered. Normally she loved going to the shop with her mom but today she was quite frustrated she was awoken from her sleep.

"Gilbert...." she whispered and Poppy furrowed her eyebrows. "Who on earth is Gilbert? You know what never mind just feed Olive and meet me downstairs in an hour." Wilma watched as her mom left and her eyes quickly darted to Olive, her cat, who was sitting patiently on the end of her bed. "Cmon olive let's eat." Olives ears quirked up instantly at the familiar word and she ran right into Wilma's arms. Wilma took her to the laundry room, and filled her bowl with her cat food, giving her a back rub as she set her down to eat. She stared at her pet deep in thought. She was worried for John Blythe, she desperately yearned to find a way to help him, but what could she do from here? She felt useless just thinking about it. How would she last all day at the store with this on her mind?

"Mum, I feel ill, maybe I should just stay home today?" Wilma yelled into the kitchen. "Ill?" Poppy appeared into the laundry room and put a hand on her daughters head. "Well you don't feel warm to me, perhaps it's just allergies. The weatherman did say the pollen count was high today." Wilma let out a groan as her mom walked out of the laundry room. "It's not allergies mom it's....my woman time." Wilma cringed as the words left her mouth but she was desperate.

"Well bring a hot water bottle and move on Will, it's wedding season and I really need your help today." Poppy turned to her pouting daughter and ran a hand through her curly hair. "Please?" Her mom asked once more and Wilhelmina let out a sigh. "Fine." Her mother really was her weakness. Anyhow what damage could a couple hours at the shop  do?

***

"Any who my mother in law to be is batshit crazy! I told her we couldn't get crab cakes because great aunt
Gertha is allergic but she insists it's tradition." Wilma nodded tiredly as she listed to the customer rant. Her name was Lilian and she had been trying on dresses for hours while simultaneously telling me every dirty detail her drama filled wedding had to offer. Wilma had stopped listening an hour ago when she ranted for thirty minutes about seating arrangements.

The door chimed and Wilma turned to see Jacob. "Hold that thought Lilian." Wilma jolted up from her seat over to her friend. "Unless you are here to save me you can go." Wilma said jokingly and Jacob handed her a bag. "Poppy scares me sorry, but I did bring you a cucumber sandwich and some apple juice." Jacob gave a toothy grin and Wilma couldn't help but reciprocate the act. "Fine, consider your presence permitted." She took a bite out of the sandwich.

"I wish I could stay but my dads want me home for family game night." He said and She nodded. "Tell then I said hello! Also thanks for the sandwich Jacob." Wilma waved him off. "No problem Wilma." He smiled and left the store.

It was already dark out. Wilma finished her sandwich as she watched mom help Lilian out of the wedding dress she was trying on so she could finally buy it. Wilma on the other hand decided on putting her earphones in and putting on her favorite song at the moment. It was called Firefall by Bjéar and somehow she felt like it was made for her "Bye Wilhelmina!" Lilian said as she rushed out of the door just in time for closing. Wilma cringed at another adult pronouncing her name wrong While-meyna she replayed it in her head and scrunched her nose up.

"Mum why did you have to name me such a long dreadful name." Wilma took out her headphones to scold her mother. "Oh don't be so dramatic Wilma." Poppy rolled her eyes. She then turned to her daughter and her face softened. "You know, I used to hate my name as well. Once I threatened to run away if your grandma didn't let me change it." She laughed as she recalled the memory. "Then I met a boy, his name was William and he was beautiful, sincere, and overall one of the most amazing people I would ever come to meet." Poppy took a pause. Wilma took one as well, her mom had never told this story before.

"One day you will meet someone so completely and utterly perfect, and they are gonna say your name so beautifully that you will forget you ever hated it." She smiled. "What happened to William?" Wilma asked. "Some things just aren't meant to be I suppose." Poppy gave a sad smile "That's who I named you after you know, the only person I ever loved as much as you." Wilma smiled as her mom ruffled her hair and then grabbed her purse. "Cmon, lets go grab some dinner."

For the first time all day Wilma didn't feel so useless. Maybe she couldn't help John Blythe, but was going to find this William her mom spoke of.

She was going to give her the happy ending she deserved.

A/N: sorry for the lack of Gilbert in this chapter. As much as I love writing scenes with those two together,  I find it important Wilhelmina gets her own character development as well. You all will get a Gilma chapter next time! I just wanted to let you guys know how much fun writing this book has been so far and I appreciate all the love and support!

Q&A:
What do you guys think of Poppy and Wilhelmina's relationship?