Chapter 10: Creature Traits

Start from the beginning

"He's going to be screaming before this is over isn't he?" Voldemort asked feeling more than a little sick at how much pain that meant Harry would be in.

"Yes," Severus agreed softly, not at all happy with the situation and resisting the urge to simply sit in the bed and cuddle Harry close until it was all over. Quickly dashing off a note with the various assignments he left their quarters with a "Don't let him get out of bed." tossed over his shoulder. Only to be caught by Dumbledore as he headed back down the dungeon corridor, away from the potions lab.

"Ah, Severus! I've been meaning to speak with you," Dumbledore said cheerfully, earning a subvocal growl from the dour man.

"What can I do for you Headmaster?" Snape asked his face blank, just itching to get back to Voldemort and Harry.

"I've been meaning to speak to you my boy. I know that Tom had something to do with your new assistant. You don't need to keep him on. In fact I will be quite happy to be the scapegoat if you need me to be to get free of him," Dumbledore asked softly, looking over his glasses in feigned concern.

"That simply isn't possible, Headmaster," Snape responded as blandly as he could manage. "The Dark Lord had nothing to do with his appointment. It was the castle herself who insisted upon it."

"Ah, I see," Dumbledore said ponderingly. "You wouldn't happen to know where Harry has been sleeping lately? I recently discovered that the Weasley twins have been covering for him for some time and refuse to explain where he has been hiding himself."

"I'm afraid that was another change the castle made during the holidays," Snape said, keeping up his bland uncaring exterior as he watched Dumbledore's expression tighten minutely and the twinkle leave the other man's eyes. "The brat was made to share quarters with me and my assistant. He is also the reason I was forced to cancel classes today since he's gotten himself dosed with a potion that he's very likely allergic to. As the problem is so obviously potion based I opted to treat him myself rather then sending him to Madam Pomfrey, the better to torture him over his general idiocy in drinking something he didn't recognize."

"Ah, good, good. I can trust you to take care of him without punishing him too severely can't I?" Dumbledore asked, the twinkle returning to his eyes.

"That depends entirely on how well behaved Potter is during his treatment," Severus said bluntly, trying to figure out why Dumbledore would wanthim to torture his golden boy.

That's when they heard a single short scream echo throughout the dungeons. Snape cursed before taking off for their quarters, ignoring his employer as the man quickly followed behind him. He burst through the guardian portrait, ignoring the way Dumbledore slipped in behind him in favor of getting a look at Harry. The fact that Voldemort was grimly pinning Harry in place as he thrashed was not reassuring.

"What happened?" Severus snapped as he moved towards them and Dumbledore slipped into a corner to observe the interaction.

"He glowed a greenish-blue before vomiting and screaming," Voldemort reported as Harry's thrashing eased, allowing the man to ease his own grip.

"Did he eat or drink anything?" Severus demanded, Voldemort nodded towards the breakfast tray that was on the side table. Snape stalked over and examined the mostly complete breakfast before cursing yet again. "Whoever keeps dosing him with potions isn't bothering to check for dangerous interaction, or they are clumsily trying to kill him."

"I am sorry, but I never caught your name young man," Dumbledore said mildly as his sharp eyes examined Voldemort.

"Me? I'm Tom Myridden. My surname means sea fort and its a pleasure to actually meet you Headmaster," Voldemort said smoothly, using the fake name that Hogwarts and Lady Magic had arranged for him. Upon hearing the name Dumbledore minutely relaxed before smiling at him with a genial nod of acceptance.