Chapter 4: Discussions

Start from the beginning

"At least he seems to be sleeping, it will speed up the healing," Severus said softly, refusing to meet Voldemort's gaze, signal of submission or submissiveness be damned.

"Severus, we both know some of what he's been through. We both lived it for all that we don't know his specifics," Voldemort said softly. "We have at least the rest of the winter holidays to put some of this to rights and set up some sort of defense against the old fool."

"You're acting remarkably sane," Severus absently commented before mentally cringing at his slip and hoping he wasn't going to get crucioed, even if it was limited to 10 seconds under the curse with a 20 minute rest.

"That has more to do with the fact that most of his soul shards are nearby," Rowena explained, amusement lilting through her voice. "We're having a little difficulty retrieving the ring because Dumbledore keeps wearing it and talking to thin air, not to mention calling the air Ariana. All of the other pieces are in the same room as Nagini, which happens to be within twenty feet of your special suite. The proximity negates or lessens most of the more extreme side effects, which is one of the reasons why Godric sent Fawkes to get them. I think the old fire bird had to fight with a deranged house elf for one of them. He was quiet aggravated when he dropped that one off."

"Something else you need to consider. If the two of you truly want to help the little one heal, you're going to have to be willing to comfort him, to simply touch him," Godric pointed out softly, silently noting the slight blush that seemed to instantly stain Severus' cheeks at the mention of 'touch' and continued to speak. "From what we've gathered he considers himself unclean and unworthy of almost everything without giving far more in return for a simple basic kindness. From the sounds he makes during his nightmares he seems to have been taught that even the most basic necessities need to be earned from an early age, such as the meanest bed and board even a prisoner would receive. If he does have that mentality, especially if its in a more extreme form, then it will never fully leave him, only be tempered and redirected. Which is probably where he gets his saving people thing that his friends tease him about. Its likely that his time here at the school has helped him to gain some perspective, no matter how little."

"We can't touch him. Our natural bodies are long gone and judging from the way he tends to flinch around his friends he hasn't experienced a great deal of gentle touch." Salazar added softly, his tone sad as his image shivered slightly in what appeared to be a remembered sympathy. "All three of you will always have a home and a family with us but until we've sorted out even temporary bodies physical touch is out of our reach. Until then the three of you will have to rely on each other for any physical comfort, such as hugs."

"Harry is also likely to mentally switch between his current age and someone much younger now that he has the chance to feel safe. His body and power are going to be effected by the Phoenix Tears and Basilisk Venom in his veins. There's also the fact that both factors may increase his incidents of accidental magic well into his late twenty's, especially if he doesn't gain someone to act as his ground." Rowena explained, sympathy shining in her eyes as she fought back her painted tears. "The medical scan will only give us a starting point for what he went through and how to fix his body, and the two of you are more likely to understand him than we are. Aside from Sal, we all grew up fairly spoiled in both material goods and affection, as a result we simply wont understand some things."

"Lovely," Severus commented sarcastically with a heavy sigh, before abruptly standing up and his tone softened. "I'd best get started on the nutritional and scar reduction potions he's obviously going to need if his nightmares, what we've observed, and what the founders told us have anything to do with it. Lord Slytherin? Would you be willing to join me in the potions lab? I might need more information than I already have in regards to the way Potter is being altered by the Basilisk Venom and Phoenix Tears in his blood, which I presume you have knowledge of due to your earlier comments."