Chapter 1

It was the summer of 194Something during the Hitler War. Sheriff Gene Forrester and Phineas "Finny" Idontknowifhehasalastnamebecauseihaventreadthewholebook were only sixteen at the time. They attended the Devon Academy, an all-boys school. They were doing the summer program, which was basically like going to school the entire year. They were roomies, and consequently BFFs 5evar. They did everything together:  they ate together, pooped together, showered together. They were inseparable. 

Everyone who attended Devon knew about their clingy friendship. Many even wondered if they were an item. Even the Headmasters questioned their sexuality. It was against the rules at Devon for the boys to be in a romantic relationship. They often discussed if they should kick them out, but they didn't want to because they shipped them so hard. Of course, if they had tried to make them leave, they would question why they waited so long to kick them out if they thought they were in a relationship. No teacher ever wants to admit to students just as a student wouldn't want to admit to their teachers that they ship them especially if it's a homosexual ship.

Gene became a sheriff a year back. No one could quite understand why he was a sheriff or what he was even a sheriff of. A student thought up a theory that he was just wearing a costume. However, Gene insisted he was a sheriff. Since he never specified what he was a sheriff of, he claimed himself as the Sheriff of Devon Academy.

Phineas was one of those kids. He is that one kid who literally is like everyone else. That may not have been the case back during the Hitler War, but nowadays, all you ever see in high schools are boys just like Finny. He was pretty attractive with brown eyes and tan skin and nice muscles. You know, the usual things that make the ladies drool. He was sporty. He could do anything and everything athletic. He won many awards and was on the football team, etc. He beat like every athletic record at Devon. He was the popular kid; the kind of kid everyone loved and wanted to be around. Everyone who attended that school wanted to be his bestie. They were shocked when he chose Gene, who was fixing on becoming the valedictorian of their graduating class.

One day, Finny took Gene to this tree on the side of the Devon river. "Yo, man," he said to Gene, "you know what this tree's for, brah?"

Gene studied the tall, thick tree. there were many limbs branching from the trunk. There was one, in particular, that was long enough to reach out over the middle of the river. He looked from that limb to the calm, blue waters of the Devon. "I reckon it's for oxygen, but I'm not sure," he responded.

"You moron!" Finny hollered. "It's the freaking tree the seniors jump out of! See that long limb up there that hangs above the water?" He gestured to the limb Gene was already looking at with a bony finger.

"What about it?" Gene asked curiously. 

"The seniors jump off that limb into the river. It's supposed to help train them for the war."

"What war?"

"World War II, you idiot. I swear you're strong in your academics, but you lack knowledge in the things around you."

"Stop trying to act smart, Finny. We all know you're a complete retard." Gene playfully shoved Finny towards the river.

"Don't get me wet, you jerk face." Finny smiled and gently pushed him back. Gene punched Finny's shoulder. "Stop flirting with me!" Finny called out.

Gene's face turned red from embarrassment. "I'm not flirting, you are!" They both laughed nervously.

They were silent for a moment. Finny finally turned normal and manned up. "We should jump from the tree."

Gene shook his head and gawked at Finny in disbelief. "Phineas Idontknowifhehasalastnamebecauseihaventreadthewholebook! You have got to be joking! You can not possibly be serious about jumping from that tree. That's suicide!"

"Maybe, but there's no one I'd rather die with than you, buddy."

Even though Finny was talking crazy, he couldn't help but toss him a flattering smile. Finny was so sweet to him. "I guess, but one jump. That's all. One jump, and then we're never jumping again. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Okay."

"Okay." Finny began climbing the tree. "Come one, buddy! We can jump together. 

Many limbs were branching from the trunk of the tree. Gene gulped down his fear and climbed the tree behind his friend.