“These are the people,” Nate whispered.

 Civilians, young and old, small and big, short and tall, were in my view. Their faces having joyous expressions.

I stared at them, dazzled at the sight. They didn’t look like the civilians back in Amethyst at all. These civilians looked much healthier. I guess this is what it’s like to have no poverty at all?

The dragon had already folded its wings back and lowered itself for Nate and I to get off its back. Nate slid off the dragon’s scaly back and landed with ease. He held out his hand for me to aid me in getting off the creature’s back. I grabbed it and slid off with ease as the sound of my shoes tapped on the ground.

“Welcome back, your majesties!” they roared.

“Welcome to our Kingdom, princess!”

The cheers haven’t ceased. They were very loud. It annoyed my ears but brought me relief to find that I didn’t disappoint their expectations. Nate had his arm curved, leaving me to insert my arm to lock into his. Just like how a man would escort a woman.

“Liking the attention, aren’t you?” Nate whispered with a smirk.

“Isn’t it only you?” I retorted back with a sly smirk.

“Hey, at least they like you.”

“How do they even know I’m the princess? I could be some merchant for all they know,” I asked Nate with a low whisper. I don’t know where we had landed but the civilians had already taken the dragon to somewhere I have no idea of. As we walked, the civilians made way for us. To my surprise, they had even rolled out a white carpet for us. This is something I definitely am not used to.

“Isn’t it obvious? Its because the guy who’s escorting you is good-looking. Oh and a prince too.”

I stuck my tongue out at him discreetly. “Don’t get so cocky.”

He stuck his tongue out as well for about 2 seconds. “I’m stating the facts.”

“There’s such a thing as stretching the truth.”

“And there’s such a thing as—”

“Silence!” someone bellowed, cutting Nate off. Suddenly, the cheers had stopped, leaving a dead silence in the background. I looked up to see an old man, well in his years. He had a short white beard and a crown atop his head. His crown was adorned with assorted jewels as his clothing looked luxurious. This guy must be the king.

I hadn’t noticed that we had now halted at concrete steps. Nate bowed down in respect as I reluctantly followed his actions. So he is the king.

“Grandfather, I have fulfilled the mission as requested. And I see you have received my message of our arrival today,” Nate spoke in great respect.

I kept my head down, avoiding any eye contact.

“Rise up,” the King said in a gruff voice.

Beside me, I could see Nate rising up from his position. I followed and still avoided any eye contact at all with the King. During my travel with Nate, he had specifically told me the rules to go by. Most of them were out of respect. Like bowing, shaking hands, making good eye contact. But its way too difficult!

I mean, this King’s intense gaze gave me shivers. It was as if he was angry or was furious. It was hard to look at him.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around my body. For a second, I felt my heart skip a beat. It was the king. He had embraced me tightly as I stood there, shocked. I felt his body shake against mine. Could it be he’s..?