Chapter 6

“Thank you!” 

I felt small arms wrap around my neck. Prince Dylan was trying to hug me as I crouched down to his size. He was only about 5 years old. 

“No problem,” I smiled, hugging him back. I remember the queen talking about this son, he was the youngest of the three sons. He can be spoiled sometimes, using his adorable features to his advantage. He’s clever for a 5-year old. I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever been like that before. 

“Bravo, Erin!” 

I looked up to see the queen at the top of the staircase, clapping her hands. 

“It was really no problem,” I replied. It was true, it really was no problem! I barely did anything, it was the dragon that surrendered itself to me. I didn’t know why, but hey, I managed to keep prince Dylan and myself alive. The queen went down from the staircase and hugged her son tightly. “Ah! I’m so glad you’re safe. Don’t ever go out anywhere without a maid beside you,” she scolded.

We were now inside the castle, by the entrance. The guards have taken the dragon; it didn’t really give much of a fight though. It actually went with them calmly. But they haven’t sent it anywhere just yet it’s just behind the castle, in the garden. The dragon has been chained up to make sure it wouldn’t harm anybody else. 

Maids passed by as they gave me weird looks, wondering why or how the dragon was able to be tamed. They’re wondering? Even I’m flabbergasted! It never even occurred to me dragons existed! Well, I guess I’ve read books about them but never have I ever imagined they existed. 

“We should really reward you,” she said, pulling myself away from my thoughts.

My mouth hanged open. A reward? Seriously?

“No! There’s no need for that! It really was nothing,” I blurted. Its embarrassing to get something I don’t even deserve. I mean, the dragon surrendered itself! I didn’t do any voodoo or whatever.

“It was interesting though,” she started. “How a dragon calmed itself under your touch. Have you had any experience with dragons?” 

“No,” I confessed. I really have no experience with them. At least, I don’t remember having any experience with them. If I did, I’d probably have done something useful to keep prince Dylan safe, not throwing myself in front of danger impulsively. 

“You sure?” she pressed. Her son was now gazing up at me, looking at me with big eyes. 

“I’m sure, your majesty. I have never seen a dragon in my life,” I answered. “Until now,” I added.

“Hm. Interesting. Well is it okay if I interviewed you more? I think I didn’t interrogate you that much,” she smiled, standing up from her crouching position. 

My heart was beating fast. Was I in trouble? Was Seth right all along? Was I really going to be sold off into a museum? Negative thoughts kept coming into my mind but I pushed them away. 

“O-of course,” I stuttered. 

The queen looked surprised for a moment but composed herself. She smiled warmly at me. “Don’t worry, you’re not in trouble,” she said as if she read my mind. “I’m just a bit curious about you. I mean, I’d love to get to know you more. I’ve told you things that happened in this castle, its my turn to listen to your story,” she explained.

I relaxed a bit. Calm down, Erin. Calm. Down.  “Oh. Haha. Should we do it now? It’s getting awfully late, your majesty.” 

“Oh yes! Let’s do it now. It’s still early, my dear,” she said.