Chapter 44: Failed attempt

Chapter 44

The smell of disinfectant made me cringe. I stirred a bit in the unfamiliar bed and knew that I was somewhere else. My eyes slowly flew open and I could see that I was clearly in the nurse’s clinic. The white ceiling, the white curtain right next to me, the smell of disinfectant and medicine, it all reeked of the clinic.

I tried to sit up but found it difficult to do so. I looked down and found a blue-haired boy on top of me. He shoved his blue head into his crossed arms and placed a heavy weight on my body.

N-Noah?

I tried to shake him lightly by the shoulder. “Hey, Noah..”

But to no avail.

I tried to shake him more and more and found it extremely difficult. Wow, he must be a deep sleeper.

Trying to find other ways in waking him up, I suddenly found myself looking at his hair. They were in a beautiful ocean-blue colour and touching it seemed to become a strong desire.

Just a little is fine..

I touched his blue hair and was surprised by how soft it was. It was like touching a furry animal. I found myself lost in a daze as I continued to stroke his hair. It was addicting. Now the only reason I lost my senses was because it really made me feel as if I’m touching a tiny animal.

I could imagine an adorable white bunny, having a pleased expression from all my touching.

I froze when I suddenly felt a hand grab mine. Sh-shoot. He’s awake now?

Noah peered over to me, looking sleepy. I felt my face go completely red. I felt like a little kid who got caught stealing cookies.

Noah suddenly smirked and raised his head. “What were you doing?”

“I-I.. You’re so weird!”

“Huh?”

“You! You wouldn’t wake up earlier from all my shaking? And yet you wake up at such a small thing?” I asked, astounded.

“What small thing? You were clearly entangling your fingers into my hair,” Noah countered.

“I wasn’t entangling them into your hair! I was..”

Shoot. I couldn’t find words that best fitted this stupid situation. A long period of silence hovered over us as I still couldn't find the right words to say.

“Hm?” Noah hummed, amusement in his tone.

“I was—was—I was just curious, okay? Your hair's all messy and I wondered what it felt like..”

I then felt completely embarrassed. There’s no point in beating around the bush. So what if I’m being honest? I’m not a professional liar. And this is the fate of all horrid liars.

“What it felt like?” Noah echoed. My face felt completely hot from what he said.

“Shut up! You’re making it sound wrong!”

Noah laughed, flashing his perfectly white teeth. “Wow, Erin. I wasn’t thinking of anything. Who knew you had such a nasty mind?”

I found myself speechless at what he just said. I’m so stupid! Me and my disgusting mind!

“Whatever,” was my poor reply.

And it was only then that I noticed that Noah still held my hand. I widened my eyes but stopped myself from speaking any more. He already thinks I have a sick mind, commenting on something as small as this would make things worse.