"I'll try. Will you teach me how to manipulate the air like you?" I said. He nodded.

"Okay, so visualize the air moving the way you want it to." Aiden began. "While walking?" I asked. "Close your eyes, I'll lead you." I looked at him uncertainly, but at his nod, I closed my eyes. Luckily, we were in a mostly treeless plain, so I figured he couldn't get me too hurt.

I was wrong.

"Ow!" I exclaimed, bumping into a tree and messing up my concentration. "I said left!" Aiden said.

"This is left." I pointed out.

"I...concentrate now, Elvina," Aiden stammered. I sighed and closed my eyes again, praying he directed me correctly.

I though a ball was the easiest thing to make, so I imagined air from far coming and resting in my hands. I felt a tugging in my head. "It's working!" Aiden said. I opened my eyes to see a sphere filled with white winds, constantly shifting, supported by my hands.

"Wow." I breathed.

Aiden laughed. "Yeah, it is amazing."

I spent most of the walk playing around with my little ball of wind, though it was tiring, and I was elated when, while eating some berries around noon, Aiden said, "We're almost there."

About two or three hours later, Aiden pointed ahead, and I could make out white flags waving in the distance. My heart gave an excited jolt as Aiden started running, me sprinting right behind him.

We heard a shriek in the distance, and before we knew it, a small figure with blond hair flying out behind her was running to us, flinging herself into Aiden's arms.

He swung Meadow around happily, while she giggled with excitement and relief. And then Birch and Grove were running towards us, Grove enveloping both Aiden and Meadow, Birch waiting until they broke away to embrace Aiden.

"You're back," Grove murmured, peppering kisses all over Aiden's face while he tried to back away.

I felt the familiar ache in my heart, the one that came whenever I remembered that no one would love me like this anymore.

Grove and Birch turned to me. I offered them a smile.

"I'm glad to see you made it, Princess," Birch said.

"As am I," I responded. I was beyond relieved to know Meadow, Grove and Birch had made it out, alive.

"Come, you should rest," Grove said. I exchanged a glance with Aiden, and we nodded. I was tired after walking for so long, for so many days.

They led us to one of the houses — the rebels of this camp had opened their doors gladly for the escapees. The owners of the house were out when we arrived.

Grove served us dinner, and Meadow went into her room while the four of us sat. Their faces turned grim, and my stomach churned.

"Princess, we have found out how the Queen discovered where we were," Birch began. I pressed my lips together, waiting.

"It was because of you."

The words hit me like a physical blow, and I jerked back. "What?" I breathed.

He bowed his head. "We've learnt that the Queen, using her powers, has a way of leaving a mark on an elf. She can track you using it."

"A mark?" Aiden asked, eyebrows furrowing.

Birch nodded. "Yes. It appears that that is what she did with the Princess."

"Can it be broken?" I whispered.

I had been the cause of the attack on those elves, I'd been the reason some of them had died.

Birch nodded again. "Yes. If you use the Forest, any of it, the dirt or leaves — anything — the trace immediately leaves you."

Aiden's shoulders sank beside me, and I breathed a sigh of relief. "She's done that," Aiden said, smiling slightly at me.

Birch blinked. "Thank Nalvia."

I forced a smile, the guilt still hanging over me. "Is Arden..." Aiden trailed off, glancing between his parents' faces.

"The maid has disappeared from the castle, so we know he has her. He hasn't arrived yet, but one of the elves with him sent a message saying that they'd been forced to split up. But he's safe," Grove said.

"Thank Nalvia," Aiden murmured.

"Did you encounter any soldiers on your journey?" Birch asked.

I glanced at Aiden, whose lips had pulled into a thin line. He gave a sharp nod. "We did. We made it out, though."

Grove and Birch looked at each other once before nodding at us. We ate the rest of the meal in silence, and I excused myself to sit outside while they went to bed.

I'd endangered so many elves because I hadn't been able to harness my power. Because I'd been weak. I hadn't asked how many had died. I should have.

Footsteps sounded, and a body settled beside me on the bench. "It wasn't your fault," Aiden said quietly.

"It was," I said.

"Everyone here knows the danger. We're rebels, we're accustomed to danger. The Queen is cunning, but we won't let it happen again."

"How many died?" I asked sharply.

Aiden exhaled. "Elvina — "

"How many?" I repeated.

"Five," he said finally. I couldn't breathe. Five elves had lost their lives. Five elves with families, with people who loved them. I'd done that. And Acer.

"They were all fighters," Aiden said quickly, "They knew the risks."

"It wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been so weak," I said, more to myself.

"Do you really think you're weak?" He asked sharply, turning my head so I looked at him. "Elvina, you're one of the strongest people I've ever met. You were tortured by your own mother since you were a child, but you still want to help others. You still sacrifice for others and have hope. You're not weak."

I blinked at him, reading the certainty in his green eyes. "Thank you," I whispered.

He released me, looking away. "It's the truth."

We sat in silence until it began turning dark. "Go to bed, Princess," Aiden said, standing up. I nodded and followed him into the house. Everyone was inside — Grove, Birch, Meadow and the elves who owned the house.

It was a happy couple, with a daughter, Fawn, not much younger than me. Fawn, Meadow and I slept on one bed, while Grove and Fawn's mother in the other room. The men slept on pallets in the living room, despite us trying to convince them otherwise.

And before I slept, I could only think about what would happen when I met Maple again.

They reached the camp! Also a filler! But there's drama tomorrow, I swear! Also, 1K already! Don't forget to:

Vote!

Comment!

And share!

Thanks for reading!