Chapter 49 - A Fresh Start

Start from the beginning

Overall, what she saw in the mirror was a bit...well...much. Too much, in fact. It looked like she was ready to step foot on the red carpet at the Academy Awards. All this for a walk?! Apprehension clutched the pit of her stomach, tightening its fist. This would do the opposite of what she wanted, and what she wanted was to melt into the shadows. What she didn't want was attention, and like this, that was exactly what she was going to get. "Des...wouldn't my khaki brocade be a better fit than this?"

"I know you doubt me." Desaree bent over behind her and rested her chin on Claire's shoulder affectionately.

Claire sighed. "I'm going to have to trust your judgement then, just so you know."

Desaree's eyes twinkled in response, but she stayed silent. Moments later, the king himself knocked at the door. Claire rushed to stage herself in her living area.

After formally greeting His Majesty, Desaree melted into the shadows and Claire stepped forward. When King Talon saw her, he appraised her and said, "Lady Claire, you look better than expected. It appears you do not have the plague after all." His eyes lingered longer than necessary over the sapphire necklace before he added, "I think you will find that the weather is beautiful today." After saying all this, he bowed politely.

She went to curtsy. This was all very curious. Worse still, it was unpredictable. Unpredictability left her uneasy. After what had happened, she had no idea how to behave around him. She straightened from her curtesy and said, "Thank you for your concern, King Talon. I apologize for hiding away." Her words were too formal—too stuffy. She mentally cringed at her awkwardness.

"No need to apologize, my lady. It looks like the time has done you well."

"I...I suppose it has."

He gazed at her apprehensively. "I trust that you are well then?"

She opened her mouth and hesitated before saying, "I'm getting there. I still feel...I don't know. It's hard to explain."

"I see. Please let me know if there is anything I can do."

"I...thank you."

King Talon looked appeased. In the gathering silence, his gaze fell to her chest. This time he said, "I did not expect to see you in that."

She exhaled; an unexpected smile tugged at her lips. "Someone once told me this dress needed a necklace and insisted that I wear it next time."

"That must be the first advice you have taken from me." His face stayed neutral, but his eyes glittered with smugness.

She suppressed a laugh. "Funny, Your Grace. Very funny."

"Shall we?" He held out his arm. She took it and they emerged into the corridor. Several heartbeats later, the door latched behind them. There were three people waiting, two castle guards and Bedelth. When Talon saw Claire studying them, he said, "You will get used to it."

His meaning was clear. She was about to see a lot more of his guards in the future. "And what about Bedelth?" she asked, flashing Bedelth a grin over her shoulder. No hard feelings—she didn't mind having him around.

"There is often a Shield by my side, Lady Claire. Why do you think they are called King's Shields?" As he said this, his eyes sparkled with mischief.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah!" she fired back at his smart-aleck response. For the fun of it, she offered him a dramatic eye roll before turning away. This earned a chuckle in return.

They fell under intense scrutiny as they moved through the keep. It came as no surprise. At first, Claire found herself on edge. This was exactly what she had expected: silent judgement from everyone. It seemed as if every single person living and working in the keep had come to gawk and even laugh at her stupidity. Then something happened to change her mind.