Chapter 16

"Why?" The dragon's sudden interjection startled me, and it did so for two reasons. Firstly, Spectrum did not usually interrupt my chain of thought in such an abrupt fashion, but it was the content of his next message that really caught me by surprise.

"I'll explain as soon as possible. For now, meet me at the waterfall. Make sure to bring the staff, but -- and this is most important... DO NOT TRUST KING GLENDIL!"

'Get to the waterfall. Bring the staff. And don't trust the king. Got it.' I repeated back what I had heard  in my mind before realizing something. 'Don't trust the king? Why not?'

"Oh, and tell Pythonia to come with you."

I wait for more of an answer, but nothing comes. Spectrum is being mysterious, so I guess I will have to figure this out on my own. I sigh before heading back into the hall to find Pythonia.

Surprisingly, she was not at all hard to find. She seems to have this small thing going on where she performs impressions of elven heroes for pocket change.

When I finally make my way through the crowd however, she appears to be stumped by the latest request.

"I'm sorry, but Estrella of Dawn is no more than a myth. As a myth, she has no clearly defined appearance or personality, and thus I can not -- Kaelie!"

The look on her face was like 'what are you doing here?' But I couldn't exactly explain in public, so I did the next best thing. "Abraham Lincoln!"

She was befuddled. "I'm sorry, but I don--"

I had to cut her off before I lost her attention. "Perhaps I can give you an idea of what he was like?"

A knowing look crosses her eye as she makes her way through the crowd. "I'll be back shortly."

She practically drags me down the hall and into an empty room. "Where's Spectrum, why did you interrupt me, and most importantly, why are you being so secretive?"

I sigh. "A: Spectrum is at the waterfall. B: We need to go there now to meet him. And C: I'll explain later."

She nods. "You had better. Now, getting out of here is much easier said than done. I can disguise myself as an elven warrior, but I doubt you can --"

The staff in my hands glowed before she even finished her sentence.

"Oh, apparently you can."

"But I don't look any different..." Or at least that's how it seems in the mirror across the room.

"Well, believe me. You do."

I guess I'll have to trust her. "Good enough. Lets go."

She nods. And while I had been busy looking in the mirror, she must have changed her appearance, as the creature that I saw in the room was no longer a multi colored scaly humanoid with claw like hands. I saw a tall, slim female elf, bearing a bow.

I point at the weapon. "I didn't know you could do that."

She shrugs. "I can't. But I found it behind the curtain along with a sword and an old dusty metal circle. Want to bring those as well?"

I mean, a sword definitely sounds useful. Now a metal circle doesn't as much, but perhaps something useful can be made from it? "Why not?"

"I thought you would say that." Strapping the red leather scabbard around her waist, she can't help but admire the gilt hilt and the ruby in the pommel. "This is no ordinary sword. I hope they won't mind our taking it." She tucks the metal thing into her bag and slings it over her shoulder before turning towards the door "Let's go."

I nod and lead the way out and into the cool evening air. From there, it is only a short walk to the waterfall. But when we arrive, I see no one in sight.

"Spectrum, we're here. Where are you?"

I scream as the ground seems to give way beneath my feet, closing my eyes until I feel myself on terra firma once more.

The first thing I notice when I open them is that the waterfall is no longer in sight. The second thing is Spectrum, Pythonia, and Mardil standing around me. The elf reached down to offer me a hand up, which I gladly accepted, and I was soon on my feet again.

"My lady," Mardil bowed as he spoke. "My apologies if you are unwell. Transportation by magical means is something that one never really gets used to."

My mind spins as I try to sort through all of this. "Transportation by what means?" I sigh. "Actually, let's start with a simpler question. Where am I?"

The elf did not seem at all surprised by my sudden demand for information. "All will be explained in time. But to answer your question, my lady, welcome to the lost kingdom. Well, I should actually use it's proper name." With a sweep of his arm, he gestures to the meadow around us. "Welcome, my lady to the kingdom of Dawn."