Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

"Are you okay?" Elizabeth asked again, but this time she sounded so concerned that I couldn't keep everything away from her.

I closed my eyes, shook my head, and wiped at my eyes with my sleeve.

"I'm so sorry," I forced myself to say. "I shouldn't have come here." I don't know why, but the words came out so easily. Even though I didn't know her that well, I felt like it was my responsibility to tell her. "I feel like I've done nothing but let people down and now the one person who actually likes me is hurt and it's probably all my fault and—"

"That's not true you know," she murmured. Her voice was so quiet that it was impossible not to believe her. "I'm happy you're here, and I know I'm not the only one. And it isn't your fault that Thomas is in his coma. King George literally stabbed him. He's to blame, not you."

I wiped at my eyes again, trying to erase the hints of the feeling swirling around inside me.

"I know this is a stupid question, but would...would you like a hug?"

I nodded without hesitation, and she embraced me slowly. Elizabeth lingered for a little bit, but she drew away soon enough. Sometimes I find the concept of hugs, as well as the hugs themself, a little awkward. But hers was soothing and it made me feel happy, even for just a moment.

"Thank you, Elizabeth."

"Please stop calling me that. Elizabeth I mean. Everyone calls me Eliza."

"I'm sorry," I murmured.

"You don't have to apologize you know." Silence drifted in again. "Random question, but are you bored at all?"

The question was random enough to where it made me hesitate before responding. I immediately felt bad about it, but I soon answered with an honest "yes."

"Okay!" she exclaimed, shooting up out of her chair. "I'll be right back, I promise. Don't move!"

She disappeared.

I still haven't gotten used to that.

I turned back to watch Thomas, when a thought sprung at me out of nowhere. It was a stupid, rash hope that was as dangerous as it would be comforting, but no matter how hard I tried to fight against it, it stayed on like it had latched itself to my brain. I sighed at the idea, but before I could successfully convince myself to push it away, I shakily stood up and moved closer to where he was lying. Urging myself onwards, I pressed my hand against his cheek. Warmth exploded into my skin, and I couldn't help but smile. A second and all the hesitation passed as well as my fear and my concern.

I leaned forwards and kissed him.

I don't know what I was expecting when I pulled away from him seconds later. For his eyes to flutter open, a smile on his face like in Sleeping Beauty? For him to sit up and slide his fingers to his lips before looking at me, with who knows what in his eyes? Even for him to just let out a sigh, just something to signal that he was still alive?

Nothing. Not even a shift or a noise. He stayed still, silent.

I wanted to cry.

Eliza popped back into the room as I returned to the chair, grin wide. She was holding something that looked slightly like a small checkered briefcase with a handle attached.

I watched in curiosity as a table slid in front of us on its own accord and the chair she had been sitting in turn to face me. She sat down in the chair and set the case on the table eagerly.

"Sorry, I would have made it appear instead of racing off, but I didn't know where it was!"

"Where what was?" I asked, nodding to the case.