Mason: Part 2

This is where things started to get worse.

I remember waking up on a Saturday morning, excited to compete in a race but more excited to see Mason. We were in a really bad argument the night before and I was ready to make-up with him.

I got dressed in my uniform and pulled my hair back in the iconic ponytail I still look great in today and my dad dropped me off at school. I saw Mason across the parking lot, helping my coach load up the bus. I quickly ran up to him, immediately hugging him and apologizing for last night.

We were arguing because he saw he talking to another boy in the hallway in between classes. I swear, we were just talking about an upcoming civics quiz. But it didn't look like it to him. He was yelling at me, accusing me of cheating on him or leaving him but it wasn't true. Things started to get blown out of proportion then I just remember a stinging mark on my cheek.

That should have been my first hint that something wasn't right.

Mason hugged me back tightly and swore that he never meant to hit me. Part of me knew that he didn't mean but I didn't care. I loved him and never wanted him to leave. I forgave him.

Later that day at the meet, I was finishing up my race when I noticed Mason wasn't at the finish line cheering me on like my other teammates were. I found that strange because before we were dating he always stood at the finish line cheering me on. I searched the fields afterwards looking for him. I spent about 15 minutes looking for him, sending him quick texts here and there asking where he was. I got nothing in return.

Eventually, I found him. He was under the bleachers of the football stadium, a good distance from the fields. He was kissing another girl. I immediately confronted him, asking him why was he cheating on me and how what I was doing the other day was cheating. He didn't say anything to me and he walked away, leaving me there.

The girl he was kissing started apologizing repeatedly, saying that she didn't know about me and how he never said he was in a relationship. I just walked away as well.

Him and I didn't talk for the remainder of the day.