Chapter 11

Jun Pyo picked her up after school and wanted to hang out with her. She told him she had to study in the library, but he insisted she study in his library. After a lot of pouting (from him), she finally relented. She sat in his library, unable to study because Jun Pyo kept interrupting.

"Gu Jun Pyo! If you're not going to be quiet I won't be able to study here!" she scolded him.

Jun Pyo made a face but turned the tv on and sat on the couch. He was watching the news.

Jan Di began scribbling some notes for an upcoming exam. She was thinking about how nice it would be if Ji Hoo was there to help her when she heard Min Seo Hyun's name on the TV. She looked up just in time to see a smiling Min Seo Hyun arm in arm with a very handsome looking man. The headline below read:

Model Min Seo Hyun engaged to French Politician Jacques Bernier. Wedding scheduled in May.

Jan Di dropped the pen she was holding.

Oh no, no, no. Her mind was in a panic. Sunbae!

Jun Pyo looked at her and saw the expression on her face. "Hey, you ok?"

She gathered her things quickly and stood up. "I have to go."

...

Jan Di couldn't find Ji Hoo anywhere. She went to the library, the clinic, his house, the cultural center, but didn't see him there. She even went to visit Rui in the stables. Jun Pyo had insisted on coming along. They tried to call him but he didn't pick up. She was getting increasingly worried. Grandfather had said he had gone for a ride - where to, he didn't know. They called Yi Jung and Woo Bin to see if they had heard from him, but they couldn't contact him either.

Jan Di was on edge, as she sat there biting her nails. They were at Ji Hoo's house waiting for him to come home. Grandfather had gone to sleep, oblivious to what was happening.

"Hey," Jun Pyo called out. "He'll be ok. It's Ji Hoo we're talking about. He's just driving around wanting to be alone with his thoughts." He meant to sound comforting but it had the opposite effect on her.

Where are you sunbae? Are you ok? She thought, terrified. Images of Ji Hoo lying unconscious in a ditch somewhere appeared in her mind. She tried to shake them off.

Jun Pyo looked at the time. "It's late. You have school tomorrow. Let me drive you home and I'll keep trying to contact him." Jan Di thought of resisting but she knew Jun Pyo wouldn't take no for an answer.

She waited until his car was out of sight before she went out again. She tried to think of where he could be. She walked along the city, hoping for a clue as to his whereabouts. She reached the park they normally went to and her eyes widened as she saw his familiar form sitting hunched on the bench.

She walked slowly towards him, unsure if her eyes were deceiving her. He was staring at the river, and he looked exhausted, his eyes half lidded. She wanted to pull him into her arms and comfort him, but she hesitated, and instead she sat down beside him. He didn't look at her – she didn't know if he even registered her presence. He sat there, staring at nothing, lost in his own thoughts. He turned to look at her and when she saw the broken expression on his face her heart shattered into a million pieces.

He must really love her still, she thought, fighting the tears that were about to come out. I'm sorry, sunbae, she whispered. He was still looking at her but his expression remained unchanged so she figured he was still lost in his thoughts somewhere. She didn't know how long they sat there, but he finally stood up and turned to walk away. Jan Di stepped in front of him and hugged him tightly. "It's going to be ok, sunbae. I'm here for you," she cried softly. "I'm here for you."