"Does that mean I get to help?" Zari asked suddenly.

"Of course. You'll use your warrior muscles to hold onto me as tight as possible and you'll close your eyes and think about dragons."

"Dragons?"

"Yes, of course. I want you to really focus and come up with a good name you'd give to your dragon."

"I like dragons."

"I know."

While they were chatting Azula managed to take down the two men and another one who ran up the stairs after them.

"I said it before and I'll say it again, we need a back door to this place." she said and started moving downstairs. She was supposed to be first according to their plan and Wen was supposed to walk after carrying Zari and only engage when necessary.

"Are you sure you don't want a weapon?" Wen asked, picking up one of his swords, just in case.

"If I need a weapon, I'll take it." she said an they continued making their way to the exit.

Zari seemed preoccupied by the task his father gave him and said nothing the whole way, keeping his eyes closed. Around a corner they encountered one of their people, nothing more than a cook, fighting off two enemies. Since the boy was already on the ground, Azula leapt to help him and with one blast incapacitated the intruders.

"Can you stand?" Wen asked the boy cook and reached out a hand.

"Yes, thank you." the boy rose to his shaky feet, "I was sent to warn you. They-"

"We're under attack. We realized."

"Who is it?" Azula asked.

"I don't know, Ma'am. They're not wearing uniforms."

"We have to get out of here, Wen." Azula moved forward.

"We do. All of us. Here." Wen gave the cook his sword, "Go the long way to the exit, take everyone you find in the kitchens with you."

"Ye-Yes, Sir."

As they continued forward Azula had to fight larger and larger groups of enemies. Wen decided to join in to help, using only one hand to bend, while the other one held their son away from harm. In retrospect, Azula should have already known something was off there and then. These people were not the kind of amateurs they were used to coming after them. This was the kind of operation they were used to leading, not being the victim of. She kept it to herself, not wanting Zari to hear doubt in her voice, but she hoped Wen was catching on too.

"Die!" one of their enemies yelled while attempting to preform a sneak attack from behind a corner. Stealth at its finest... Maybe she had overestimated them. Even without using her fire she kicked the spear right out of his hand and then knocked him out with it.

"I told you I'd get a weapon if I needed it." Azula detested swords, but spears and throwing knives... Well, there was a time and place for them.

The shortest way to the exit was through their throne room. Making it there, they felt like they were already outside. But as soon as Azula made it past their two chairs she was faced with the largest group of enemies yet. About a hundred of them stood between her and the door. She froze in place, trying to come up with a way to double back without all these people immediately following behind.

Then Wen ran in after her, holding Zari.

"Get the two of them! What are you waiting for?!" a woman yelled and instantly got struck with Azula's spear. The Princess threw it to free up her hands for the firebending move she did next, which raised a wall of blue fire that reached from floor to celling and blocked the three of them from the attackers.