Part 13

We were heading to my house and Johnny was talking to Dally on the way there. I didn't want to interrupt so I kept looking out the window. At some point I started listening to their conversation. "Don't you think it's pointless?" Johnny asked him. "This rumble is just going to settle our turf," Dallas said. They still want to do this rumble? "Come on Johnny we need you out there with us. You're a strong fighter and are always there is we need you," Dallas continued. I wanted to interfere but I just stopped myself. Johnny shook his head and then sighed heavily. "I guess I am, but I'm just not sure about it. But I'll do it." I sighed quietly and continued looking out the window. I just wanted this day to be over already. We finally got to my house and I slowly got out of the car. "Thank you for the ride Dallas," I said closing the door.

Johnny came up beside me and gave me a small smile. "You two have fun, not too much of course." He said raising his eyebrows at us. Then he drove off and left Johnny and I alone. We headed inside and I sighed heavily. I sat down on the couch and Johnny stood there looking at me. "Are you ok Beth?" He asked me. I fought back tears and looked at him sadly. I stretched out my hand and he came over and took it in his as he sat beside me. "What's wrong?" I put my head on his shoulder and he tensed up at first but then he relaxed and carefully put his arms around my shoulders. We stayed there while I tried to calm down but then I finally spoke up. "Johnny, would you be mad at me if I told you I don't want you going to the rumble?"

He sighed and it sounded as if he was relieved. "No Bethany, I don't want this rumble to happen either." I sat up slowly and met eyes with him. "It's not that Johnny. I'm worried about what could happen to you," I said. He made a confused face and I sighed as tears welled up in my eyes. "When Curly said he got jumped by the Socs, I knew Jay had something to do with it. Then it was Two-Bit who is in the hospital because of them." Johnny realized why I was so worried by now. "I don't want anything happening to you Johnny. I care about you and I don't want you getting hurt," I said. Johnny's eyes glistened and I could tell he felt upset about what I was saying. Tears started to fall down my face and I wiped them quickly.

"Bethany, you don't have to worry about me," he said. "But I do Johnny, because I care about you," I croaked. Johnny hugged me tightly while I lightly cried onto his shoulder. "I care about you too Bethany. That's why I'm doing this rumble." I calmed down and waited for him to keep going. It took me a while but I finally stopped. "I'm doing this rumble so the Socs stop coming here on our turf. I'm scared they're going to jump you." I looked up and I noticed he had tears in his eyes. "Johnny, they could hurt you badly," I said. "I don't want them jumping you and then not being able to do anything about it." Johnny blinked away his tears and I carefully wiped a tear from his face. "I've been through worse things than getting jumped. What keeps me going at the end of the day is knowing that you're right by my side."

I smiled and wiped the remaining tears going down my face. "I want you to be safe and I'll do everything I can to keep you safe," he said grabbing my hand. "I want you to be be safe too Johnny. Just be careful at the rumble and remember our door is always open for you," I said. He smiled and hugged me lightly and I rested my head on his shoulder. "We should probably get some sleep," he said. I let go and nodded in agreement. I stood up first and offered my hand to him. When he stood up, without even thinking I leaned in and kissed his cheek. Johnny's face turned to a rosy red which made me smile. "Good night Johnny," I said squeezing his hand before walking away. "G-good night Beth," he stuttered.

The next morning Ponyboy, Sodapop, and Darry came in Darry's truck to pick us up. "Can I get in the same car as Ponyboy?" I teased and he rolled his eyes at me. "Did you two have a nice night together?" Ponyboy asked but he didn't ask in a seductive voice. "Yeah, we did," I said getting into the car next to Ponyboy. Johnny sat beside me and closed the door. Darry smiled at us from the front and Sodapop turned to look at me. "I called Dallas this morning and he told me that Two-Bit recovered a lot overnight. He'll be home by the time you're home," he said. I smiled widely and looked over at Johnny and he smiled back at me. We started heading towards school and Darry decided to talk. "So Bethany, I heard that you learned how to play football." I looked down in embarrassment and Ponyboy nudged me lightly.