Ch. 13

She wasn't sure what she was expecting from Ron after her lunch with Draco made the front page of the Prophet, but showing up in her office doorway with another bouquet of flowers was not it.

"So that was you in the Prophet," He sighed. "I should've known he would take you out to lunch right after."

She rolled her eyes. "What do you want, Ron?"

"Can we talk?" He asked quietly, gesturing towards her slightly with the flowers.

She raised an eyebrow at him before looking down at her work. "I suppose that you won't leave me alone until I do?"

"I hear it's better to talk sooner rather than later," He said as he walked in and set the flowers on the corner of her desk and sat down.

"You've never been one to talk sooner," She said as she gathered her papers together and put them in her drawer. "Your tactic was to always ignore the person. You did it plenty of times to Harry and I."

He gave her a sheepish look before running a hand through his hair. "I know, and it was extremely immature of me but right now I'm trying to do the right thing."

"Well it's a little late for that, isn't it?" She asked, glaring at him.

"'Mione, I know I messed up-"

"Messed up?" She interrupted in an annoyed tone. "That's what you think you did? No, Ron; blowing up a potion back in school was messing up."

"I know, I know..." He sighed and put his head in his hands for a few moments before sitting back up. "Please just tell me how I can fix this, I want to get things back to the way they were."

"I'm sorry, but there's no chance at fixing this," She said, shaking her head. "I'm filing divorce paperwork this weekend."

The look in his eyes would've broken her heart if she wasn't already upset about the situation. He didn't say anything though for a few minutes and she broke the silence by asking, "Why did you even do it?"

Ron sighed and looked down. "I honestly thought you were shagging Malfoy behind my back, and I retaliated."

"That's your reasoning?" She glared at him. "You thought I was cheating when I explained multiple times that we are simply working together?"

"How was I not supposed to think something was going on?" He countered. "You two were writing notes to each other!"

"Notes that had to do with his employee and my wellbeing considering I was working myself so hard that I wasn't eating!" She exclaimed. "And you still had no right to read that letter!"

"Okay yes, maybe I was in the wrong but-"

"Maybe?!" She pointed towards the door, glaring at him. "Get out of my office."

"What?" He gave her a dumbfounded look. "But I'm not done explaining yet!"

"No, I've heard enough." She crossed her arms against her chest and continued to glare at him.

Ron slowly stood up and made it two steps towards the door before turning back around. "Can we at least finish talking later?"

"What else do you need to say?" She asked exasperatedly. "I've honestly heard enough and I don't want to hear anymore. I'm not changing my mind, Ronald."

He frowned and let out a long sigh. "Please give me a chance, Hermione."

"I gave you a chance," She said quietly. "We've been together for five years, and I haven't ever cheated on you. I've never even considered the idea, but you always became overly jealous anytime I interacted with any man. I'm done with that."