b.m

"oh- uh- excuse me. oh no, i'm sorry." i heard nervous muttering ahead of me as a lanky figure tried to make its way through the crowded coffee shop. i ignored it and continued writing out my notes.

"excuse me miss?" my head snapped up. that same figure was now standing in front of me. in one of his arms were a couple notebooks and one textbook, and he had a mug full of some drink in the other.

"yes?" i replied, already knowing what he was going to ask. i was in the only booth with a free seat opposite me, and he wanted it.

"is it alright if i take this seat?" i nodded. he looked at what i was doing and looked back at his own bundle of supplies. "it appears we're in the same boat." he chuckled. i laughed too.

"yeah, exams has every student flocking in here." i smiled at the stranger sitting across from me. "what do you study?" i asked him.

"astrophysics." he said nodding. "what about you?"
"i'm doing biochemistry. it's nice to meet a fellow science student just barely surviving." i joked. we both laughed again.

"you know, you have a lovely smile. what's your name?" he complimented. i felt the blood rush to my cheeks.

"y/n."

"brian." he smiled again

after talking to brian for about an hour, teaching each other about our respective subject and even flirting a little, it was closing time. we figured out that we study at the same college, so it won't be hard to run into each other again. he invited me to see his band, smile, play soon. he said that they're testing out this new lead singer, and that he's really good. i told him that i would gladly go see smile, but only if we can have some one-on-one time afterwards. he winked and said that it could be arranged. yeah, the flirting was definitely there.

i watched him walk out of the coffee shop, only to stop dead in his tracks, turn around and almost run back to me.
"y/n! i didn't get your number or anything!" he exclaimed. i smiled, that was really cute of him.

"check the front page of your textbook." he cocked his head to the side, opened the book. he smiled to himself. the message read:
bri,
call me sometime soon, i'm certain that you're gonna get me through exams. excited to see smile play ;)
+xx-xxxx-xxxxxx
-y/n
"you know, you're the first person to ever call me bri. i like the sound of it," i stood up, then kissed him on the cheek.

"glad to hear it, bri" we both chuckled quietly.

we walked out of the coffee shop hand in hand, heading back to campus. i'm not really sure why we held hands, it just felt natural. we got more of a chance to chat and get to know each other. there wasn't a moment of silence in the entire 20 minutes it took to walk. we were like old friends who had known each other for years, not hours.

once i was back in my dorm, i immediately heard the phone ring. startled, i picked it up.

"hello?" i said.

"just making sure the number wasn't fake, love." i heard the familiar voice reply.

wc; 561 words