Vows

"I've gotta fix it," Ed mumbles, nervously tweaking some knobs in his makeshift engineering lab he had set up in the library. Thinking, thinking. "I've GOT to fix it."

"Fix what?" Oswald asks him. He and that annoying dog, have just been sitting around watching him for the better part of an hour - that is, after he had delivered the devastating news to Ed.

He won't even look over at his friend, in his suit all crumpled up on a couch, getting dog hair all over it. Ugh, why had he named that thing after him?

"I've gotta fix it. Not much time."

"I can't hear you?" Oswald mockingly cups a hand to his ear.

"I've got less than a month. . . how am I going to do this?" Ed says to himself - just to himself - as he moves some papers around on a workbench, looking for inspiration. Unfortunately, his voice is loud enough for Oswald to hear. Oswald stands up from the couch after gently placing his precious doggie down and walks over to him.

"What's this I'm hearing about 'a month'?"

"Go away, Oswald," Ed growls, annoyed at his intrusion.

"You know, a month is not anywhere on our timetable for building this submarine. We need it built by -"

"The wedding," Ed says lowly.

"Have the submarine ready by the wedding? Pah!" Oswald says.

"No," Ed says, grabbing him by the vest and pulling him close. He can feel his heart race. "Jim and Lee are getting married. And you know that's not right."

Oswald looks into Ed's dark eyes, fierce with menace. "Okay, Ed, I understand. Time for a little vengeance, eh?"

Ed releases Oswald, and he puts back his ruffled feathers.

"That's not what this is." The dark look is still in Ed's eyes. "Not at all."

"Awww. . ." Oswald whines and the 'Edward' on the floor starts up a soft, but mournful howl. "Don't tell me you're still in love with her? After all you and I have been through. . .?"

Ed doesn't answer. Instead, he takes off his coveralls, replaces them with the emerald suit that's been hanging neatly in the corner, and dons his hat.

"I need to save the princess," Ed says, matter-of-factly. "And that means you and I have got some work to do."

Oswald groans.

A sprinkling of guests at the GCPD surround a candle-lit dais that had been prepared for Lee Thompkins' marriage to Jim Gordon - it had been placed where Jim and Harvey's twin desks had been for years. The guests seated there there were the ones closest to the couple, where other more distant friends and associates were to watch the ceremony from below, down in the bullpen of the GCPD.

Jim himself awaits the arrival of his bride on the daiswith Harvey.

Ed and Oswald are surveying everything from their hiding place above, waiting for just the right moment to spring into action.

And then there she is, bedecked in a white dress that looks like a power suit, reflecting the strong woman that she is.

Lee.

Ed gulps as she descends the stairs to where her groom awaits her. She's gorgeous, glowing. She looks happy. He almost feels guilty for what he's about to do, and yet he knows it's for the best.

The guests who had stood up out of respect for the procession of the bride are now told to take their seats by Harvey.

"Belay that order!" Ed shouts.