Against all Art

They sat (some were standing) in silence as they awaited her answer. It was a typical Filipino family gathering one Sunday evening with the birthday celebration of a family member (tita Cel was her name) still on Wednesday. Unfortunately, because everyone will be busy with work and school, the clan decided to advance the celebration on a weekend. Besides, Sunday was family day. 

Titas and titos alike stared at Meggy waiting for an answer to the question, "eh, ano namang kukunin mong kurso sa kolehiyo, iha?" 

Ugh. She hated this question-and-answer portion for every family gathering they have. Tita Meredith was a meticulous woman who always checks everyone's answers and (always) has a say about it. 

She has two children; her cousin Belle is in second year college taking up law, and a first year college, Miggy, taking up engineering. Her other cousins were either in the business management program or in the medical field. However, they all shared one thing in common: they all underwent the same question-and-answer part of the program for every family gathering of what career do they plan to pursue, starting with the degree they'll be taking up, and tita Meredith was always the head of the inquiry. 

"She plans to take up performing arts, Meredith" replied her mother, Meredith's sister, who was sitting behind Meggy. She realised she was taking too long to respond, and the silence was getting awkward, so her mother had to speak up for her. 

There were nods and "ah, ganun ba?" comments from the family, with only her cousins approving of the knowledge (although she does not know whether they really find the performing arts an adequate path, or are they just trying to lighten up the mood). 

Then there came tita Meredith's barrage of follow-up questions (whom she was also doing a commentary), "ay! Ano bang mapapala mo diyaan? Naku! Sa panahon ngayon kahit sino, pwede na maging artista! Tignan mo yung sa channel x, sino sino na lang bagong mukha ang uma-appear por que nanalo lang sa pa-contest na ganito..."

"pero, tita, it's not just about acting and all... it's also about appreciating theatre plays and drama, the art and composition of what really makes a great performance and theatre industry!" explained Meggy, lost for words, and feeling that the other members of the family were trying to suppress their chuckles and disappointment, but letting tita Meredith do the work. 

But Meredith was a practical woman. She proceeds to explain how she had spoken to her own children about what course to take, and how it will affect their future with the occasional "look at Belle, she might become a senator one day!" or "Miggy? He's going to do such extraordinary things with that 'engineer' next to his name!" 

Then she turned her attention more to her sister, Meggy's mother, and started giving her "advise" how it'll be a waste of investment if Meggy was not to find a successful job when she graduates. How she won't be able to contribute and give back to her parents all because of what she wants, and not what she needs. 

Had it not been for the house maid calling, "ma'am! Nakahanda na po yung lamesa! Pwede na pong kumain!" then it would have gone forever. 

Meg felt herself flushed, her cheeks burning either from embarrassment or the building annoyance and anger inside her. If that's how it's going to be for her family, she thought that the spirit of a performing arts person resides deep inside her, and that, even when she takes up a degree against her will, there will be a day when that performing arts side of her will bloom for what it really is, and where she meant to be...