Matalo si Manalo

Manalo de Guzman watched from his private vehicle the crowd which had steadily grown along the streets of Manila. They were unfamiliar faces, in fact they were strangers to him and most likely strangers towards one another too, but they shared one common reason for being outside today despite the impending signs of a bad weather to come. They were all his supporters in the coming election. Although today's forecast would be grey and gloomy, he found, in these people, a ray of sunshine. They made him smile despite the dullness of the day, and forgave them silently for the traffic they were causing. 

"Sir, shortcut na po tayo?" the driver interrupted his 'sightseeing'. By then, he was quite enjoying the subtle smile and short nods he was giving to his 'fans' as a response for those close enough to see through the glass. "Okay. Go ahead." 

Manalo was quite a charming man despite his age (50, although many say he doesn't look his age--supporters, friends, family alike), and he always had this gentle disposition. He never fails to lose an election as he makes promises to the people and was sure as sunrise to keep them. 

When he says he'll fix the issue about proper laning (which side of the street a motorcycle or a truck should stay on to avoid causing delays or traffic), a project will surely be on its way to widen the road ("There will be traffic while the project is ongoing, but rest assured that citizens will no longer have to experience that when the cement is dried, the workers all packed up"). When people complain how street children would often wander around, approaching them with pitiful eyes and actions, but turning violent when they are given just a one peso coin or none at all? In about a month, there would be less to no children begging at all ("Oh, they have been sent to rehabilitation areas or given adequate attention"). 

His iPhone vibrated from where it was nesting comfortably on his pants pocket. An incoming message? Indeed, it was from a party member working for him. One of the members of his so-called 'alliance'. 

Sir. We were able to force ma'am X and her party to submit to your... request. You were right, sir. They were weak enough you could have easily stolen the money. Bakit nga po pala hindi na lang yun ginawa niyo? They won't be able to do a thing anyway. You got the Filipino people's full support and trust. Anyway, safe travel, sir. See you po tomorrow. For now we'll make sure ma'am X and her small group doesn't notice a thing. We will remain their 'neutral' during the duration of this election.

A small smirk formed on his lips, replacing that well-known 'gentle smile' as he read, re-read, and relished in this good news he had received. Indeed, even a super typhoon announcement wouldn't ruin his day now. 

Ah, such a secret undertaking Manalo had to undergo just to get what he wants and to where he is. Careful planning, sly movements, a clever, wicked mind, and participative members of his 'alliance' all with the promise of glory and gold. 

When he says he'll fix the issue about proper laning, a project will immediately follow his command. The workers could dig the whole highway if they have to, take as long as they want to as long as they were being paid their dues. Manalo would release money from the government's bank--contributing perhaps a little of his own just for the hell of it--then taking the blame among those whom he least favored among his men, his alagad, or his most hated political rival whose position is on the verge of collapse anyway. Why not have the title of "thief" imposed on him/her? Fuel and give even more reason for the people's hatred? 

When he says he'll resolve the growing case of street children and beggars. he'd have them eliminated should they refuse to cooperate in going to orphanages or would choose their freedom than having to surrender to government. There was no second chance, not for Manalo. Once his 'beloved' citizens complain about their brash nature--even if they were innocent victims drawn to act by those older than them-- they will be disposed off. The people will not have to see them wandering the streets in the next few days. That's what's important. Taking action immediately, ridding of third world problems swiftly. It was safe to promise the clean up done in a month, but you'd be impressed when action is done in less than the allotted time. 

Well, a victory is sealed today. He need not see a fortune teller over at Quiapo to know the outcome of this election: Manalo de Guzman will definitely win. All he needed was that confirmation received via text message. Ma'am X will fall... and so will her party. Him and his 'alliance' are moving up the scales quickly (they always are), the game is very much in their favor (as usual), but they will remain innocent and neutral towards the other candidates (not just Ma'am X) and, of course, the whole nation. Oh, look at me, I promise to give my countrymen a better future. The Philippines will shine if you vote for me as your leader. Tick my name on your ballots--I know most of you will--and let's get this over with. The media has no power over the droning voice of the people. My people...

"Hay! Ang trapik naman! Wala bang nag-aasikasong pulis dito sa mga tao? Laking harang sa daan eh..." his driver complained, scratching his almost-balding head. He wanted to honk at them, but he fears his passenger's strict order. Imagine you're passing by schools and churches, don't honk your horn in respect. The people would perceive how patient the rider is. 

Manalo de Guzman ignored the growing frustration of his impatient driver. Oh, he knows what'll become of him if he acted like what he was before: one of the kings of the road. He, Manalo, controls everything now.