Chapter Eight

Holland's Pov:

I stood in the Dean's Office, her looking at me as her hands clasped in front of her. My hands were clammy from the nerves as I looked down at her thinking face.

"Holland," I flinched inwardly at the tone she was using, "What you're asking is something" She paused for a moment, arching a brow, "It's different." She declared, leaning back in her chair. I ran a hand through my hair while I shifted my weight slightly, trying to keep eye contact with her.

"Dr. Clemens," I started, my voice shakey, " I've talked to Joshua at lengths about this and I know his condition is fragile, but I've been taking care of him for over two years now," I expressed, nervously pacing her office slowly. "I can't handle being away from him for more than even days at a time. I need to know how he's doing at all times-."

"I know," She injected, "Be that as it may, Miss Faye, you're going into this profession to help save children, not become their parent. You've had lectures on this very subject." I clenched my jaw at her abruptness.

"I can't help it..." I admitted, sitting on the edge of the seat across from her. I closed my eyes, taking a breath, and looked directly at her. "This isn't the same as thinking I'm his parent. That's the thing, I know I'm not. His parents left him, he hasn't seen them since he was six years old." Seems to be a habit to fight off tears lately. "He hasn't left this hospital since the day he was sent here. He's only been to the courtyard, which barely gets any sun."

"Miss Faye." She attempted, but I didn't stop.

"I know his condition is fragile, but where we're going, I'll be able to take care of him for the four days we'll be away. If something happens, I'll have all of his medication and his medical records if a hospital trip is needed. I understand that what I'm asking is not the best for medical reasons, but he's only nine years old; I want him to know that there are people who do love him. I want to show him what a real holiday looks like. I want him to feel love." I divulged, glancing away from her, "I want to show him that just because he was left here, to wither away, that the small amount of life that he has can be spent outside white walls." I looked back up to her. She kept her eyes on me as she opened her drawer and pulling out a file.

"This type of thing isn't that uncommon I suppose." She smiled as she looked at the file, and handed it to me. "I went through the same thing when I was in med school. I just wanted to hear why." She explained, clasping her hands on the desk. I looked at her with a confused face as I opened the file.

Inside were pictures of what I assumed was Dr. Clemens sitting next to a small girl. I looked up at her then back to the photos.

"She was the first kid I worked with." She murmured, "She had a massive tumor that couldn't be removed, but she never let that stop her from smiling all the time. She was an orphan though, so she had no one, never even knew her parents. On her seventh birthday, I begged the committee to let me take her out for the day, you know, live her life as a kid for a change. However, they turned down my request because of liability claims."

"I didn't know-." She held a hand up.

"What you're asking, is very risky for both the hospital and Joshua and even your career." She explained firmly, taking another form out. I clenched my jaw though nodding for her to continue. "I have a release form here that I'm going to sign." I almost screamed out of joy as I jumped out of my chair. "However, you have to get in contact with the hospital by your parents' home and fill them in. If they are willing to have emergency contact with us in case there is a hospital trip, then he may go for the four days. Is that understood?" She arched a brow, pen scratching against paper.