Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty:

Joshua's Pov:

My New Life:

                Most people in the world believe that dying ends your existence in the world. That you either go to a place called Heaven or the underworld known as Hell. That your soul is either living on in pure happiness or damned based on the type of life you lived. Well... I guess you can call my new existence kind of like Heaven. There are no pearly gates, no god that judged you, not angels flying around though. I remember when I had passed on, the first thing I could see was beautiful sight; a place I was never able to go to when I was alive. It was a beach, full of kids my age that had lost their life to something; cancer, a car crash, or even... well killed. I remember that I had felt so amazing, alive for the first time since I could remember. I had placed my hand on my head and felt a full head of hair, like when I was a small boy. The first few weeks in this new place was an amazing experience. I had met the most beautiful girl named Emma who had died of a car wreck. We spent every day together, going swimming, eating lunch or dinner, or flying kites.  I had my first kiss with her. We never grew tired. Not once ever having to slow down and sleep.

                I'll never forget the day that my heart hurt though. Emma and I had been running on the beach together, laughing as we chased some dogs and I had fallen to the ground in pain, something that I never thought I would experience again.

                "What's wrong, Joshua?" She asked as she kneeled down next to me. I clutched my chest as I ripped off my t shirt.

                "I hurt..." I panted out as sweat began to form on my brow. I looked up at her with a frown as the other children surrounded us.

                "I know what's wrong!" A younger girl said as she came running over to me. I looked up at her, pleading with my eyes to educate me. "You have someone you love in trouble! I remember the pain because I had it when my brother tried to hurt himself... I went through the thingy though and I could see him!" She said with a smile on her face. I was confused as to what she was talking about. "See! It's right there!" She said as she pointed behind us. I looked over my shoulder to see the strange wormhole looking door, glowing brightly. I stood; my pain in my chest growing as I held onto it. I looked at Emma who wore a sad smile before nodding me away to go.

                "It must be that woman you were talking about. The one that took care of you?" She asked as she placed a new shirt, I was unaware where she had gotten it from, on my shoulders. I swallowed the knot in my throat as I thought of something happening to Holland. The kids that surrounded me moved behind me as I walked closer to the strange door. I nearly fell back when a rather large being stepped in front of me.

                "You can only pass through once. If you chose to use this now, you may never go back there again." It's voice said as it looked down at me. I looked back at Emma who wore a nervous smile on her lips. "Do you chose?"

                "Yes." I said as I ran through the portal.

                I will never forget that day; the day she had tried to kill herself. I had never been so angry at her. But... after spending the day with her, she was able to go back, despite my yearning to spend forever with her. I will never forget Holland, the most important person I had back in that life.

                Now here I stand, in the room of the Looking Glass. The room in this magical place that allowed you to watch the lives of those you left behind, but unable to speak to them. I had spent most of my time in this place, after I had discovered its usefulness.  Emma, the girl who had become so important in this new life, would travel with me here, supporting me and looking in the mirror herself, to check up on how her father was doing. It has been Fifteen years since the day I had left that life. Fifteen years since I had to leave Holland behind and start anew, with Emma.

                So here I stand, in front of the mirror watching as Holland laughed and played with her children. I smiled, a tear falling from my eyes to see how happy she was. She had stayed with Audrey, living a peaceful life back in California. I had always hoped they would stay together. I watched over the years as Holland became an amazing child doctor, promising to take care of the children of those who were left behind by horrible parents. I had watched as if I had been there with them, the marriage ceremony of their love. I had watched as they gave birth to each of their children; Christopher, Melanie, and to my surprise a young boy that was named after me. Her family was beautiful.

                "Are you ready love?" Emma's voice said sweetly as she wrapped her arms around my waist. I placed my hands over hers as she laid her head on my back. I was much taller now; her head was barely able to reach my shoulder. I turned around in her arms as I leaned down, kissing her forehead as I laid my head on hers.

                "I am." I said with a smile. She gave me a beautiful smile as she pulled away from me, lacing her fingers with my own. I looked over my shoulder to see Holland's face fading away from the mirror, a happy smile on her face. 'I love you, mom.'I thought to myself as Emma and I left the Looking Glass room.

                "Do you think we can have kids?" Emma's voice echoed in my ear as we walked slowly hand in hand down the beautiful grassy hills, surrounded by miles of flowers.

                "Is it possible?" I asked, confused as to how that would work. I looked down at her with a kind smile as I kissed her temple.

                "I think so, maybe if we traveled to a place that allowed it. Mary said her older brother had left this place for another that allowed them to live as if they were human again." She sounded very giddy as she spoke.

                "Hm... would you like to go there then?" I asked as I stopped in our walk, turning towards her. She had the most beautiful smile on her face as I ran my hand through her chestnut hair.

                "I would love to... If we had a boy and a girl... we could name them Holland and Andrew." She said as she brought up my mother's name and her fathers. I smiled as I pulled her in a passionate kiss.

                "Let's go; let's go to our new life then." I said as we smiled to one another. I grabbed her hand in mine, squeezing it gently. Ready for anything....ready for a new life with my loved one.

                                            The End

I hope you guys enjoyed this different point of view. I wanted to show you that even though Joshua had left the world Holland was in, that he was still happy. I thought this would be the perfect ending, to show that he could breathe again as well as Holland.