Kahju

I still couldn’t believe what transpired earlier. I just spent my afternoon with a princess, and not just any princess, but Xanaehla herself.

I let that sink in as I left the café and walked on home. I was in cloud nine. People must be looking at me because I had a big, cheeky grin plastered on my face. For the first time, I really didn’t care. I passed by a familiar route and saw a building that snapped me out of my elation.

The store.

The very same store I went in earlier where I saw my dad speaking with the shady shopkeeper. I remembered how I dashed out of there the moment I saw him. I don’t know why, but I feel as though my parents are to be scared of. Lately, they’ve been acting so shady and secretly around me. As much as I wanted to think otherwise, the pieces just seem to fit together. I hated being doubtful about others, especially ones I’ve trust the most.

Or trusted.

I lost my train of thought when I felt a force my hair. Oh there was going to be some hell tonight! I whirled back with an extremely annoyed look in my face. The look went away, unfortunately, and was replaced with shock and guilt.

“Where the hell have you been?! I literally scoured the entire Bazaar looking for your sorry ass! You weren’t able to buy the stuff were you?!”

“Avein, oh shit I’m so sorry! I – my dad—Princess!  –  the stuff — Oh eff, the stuff!!!”

“Wha?! Wait, if you’re worried about the materials, don’t worry I already bought them. I had a hunch you would get sidetracked, typical you. But I need you to calm down and tell me what about your dad and a princess that you were mumbling about.”

Avein put her hand on my shoulder to calm me down. I had completely forgotten the reason why I was at the Bazaar in the first place. I let a small stain of doubt get the best of me. I feel so guilty, and Avein buying all the stuff I was supposed to buy wasn’t helping me either. I felt as though I was taking advantage of her.

I’d figure that the only way to thank her for the troubles was to tell what I was up to the whole afternoon. I told her everything from my encounter with dad, shopping with Xanaehla up to when she pulled my hair. I left no detail untold.

“Whoa, you seriously spent the afternoon with a princess?!Was she nice? Pretty? You’re not pulling my leg are you?”

“I’m serious! Well at first she kind of a bitch but once you get to know her she’s actually nice, bit of a primadonna but nice. ”

“Cool! So uh…..what about that scene with your dad?”

My face fell once again. Talking about my dad wasn’t making me feel better but I have to tell her.

“Like I told you, I found him in cahoots with that shopkeeper.”

“Maybe he just wants to buy something.”

“In a shop full of shrunken skulls, cryptic baubles, and creepy books?!”

“You do have a point. What do you think he was doing there?”

“I have no idea. But seeing him in a shady lace talking to a shady person is enough to reconsider my thought about him.”

I hadn’t realized we were already outside the Bazaar and making our way home. I told my parents I would be sleeping over Avein’s and they didn’t seem to mind. I just wanted some time away from them. We were pasta Horte when Avein broke the silence.

“So you’re gonna confront them?”

“Hell no!”

“Well you’re gonna have to sooner or later…”

“I know but I’ve got something else planned, and I was hoping you’re gonna help me…”

“I don’t like the sound of that….but it’s kinda fun, do tell!!!”

“When we reach you home.”

“Aww man…”

I smiled at her reaction. I was true to my word. I’m going to follow Xanaehla’s advice. I’m hoping that Avein will be willing to help me. We got to her home, greeted her parents, told them we would be eating dinner later and scurried over her room.

Avein’s room was fairly sized. It looked like what every average female teen Sapir room should look like. Her bed was what I like the best. It was rectangular in shape, big enough for four Sapirs and was flooded by a multitude of plushies, a particular one was a Lach Neiz plushie that we shared and named Laplace. There was a desk positioned below the window where a jar full of sweets is placed. Several schoolwork materials and some photos of her crushes also decorated the desk. She also had a lamp table with a picture of her and her family and with just the two of us. Posters of some famous Sapir bards are plastered on the wall. She also has a desk with a mirror attached that displays all her vanities and some other random stuff. A bookshelf containing research books is placed near the portal. How she manages partying and studying is beyond me. We changed into more comfortable outfits then sat at her bed.

“So, the plan?”

“Uhm, I’m planning on spying my parents the whole day.”

“You serious?!”

“Think about it. If I confronted them face to face, would you think they would tell me what I wanted?”

“You’re right but it’s not like you can skip classes and watch them invisibly…”

Both of our eyes grew big at the same time, We both knew what we were thinking.

“Of course!”

“Avein, are you sure about this?”

“It’s like the only way.”

“B-but…”

“Don’t even think about having second thoughts now!”

“Where would we even get the materials needed? And the formula?”

“Taken care of.”

Avein walked toward her bookshelf and pulled out a piece of paper. She gingerly placed it on my lap and went on writing on another piece of paper.

“Where the hell did you get this?!”

“I bought it from Shara earlier.”

“Is this even allowed?”

                “U-uh…”

“Does it work?”

“We’ll see after we test in on you…”

“Wait, so you just bought an untested formula from one of our schoolmates that may be illegal and using it on me?!”

“I was excited on brewing tonics that I couldn’t wait ok?! And plus we can trust Shara!!!”

“Fine, but if this doesn’t work you owe me a full lunch!”

We both laughed.  I’ve always trusted Avein, even if she liked taking risks such as this one. She’s never failed and I know I can count on her. I love her to bits.

“You sure you wanna do this?”

“The damage has been done. They made me skeptical. No turning back.”

KIDS, HAVE YOUR DINNER ALREADY. YOU BOTH HAVE SCHOOL TOMORROW!!!

“We go back to the Bazaar tomorrow for the materials and no getting sidetracked!”

“Hahahaha, yes ma’am!”

We both went down to get some grub. I was still having some doubts about this, but I need answers. I’m going to get it whether they want to or not.