Grey path

The rays of morning sun emitted into the window covering the bed in oven like degrees.
I opened my eyes feeling very sticky and stuffy (not a very elegant way of starting the day), Naofumi was still asleep next to me and i felt my face heat up while my heart was beating wildly.
Me and Naofumi... in the same bed, cuddling.... omg! >////< it's too much!!!
I sit up and feel myself stopped by arms hugging my waist. I look at his face still slightly red from crying and i smile a little while gently running my fingers trough his locks of hair. I just wanted to bask in this calm moment for a while... just a little. 

I leave the bed and open the window letting the room get cooled with the morning wind.
then i make ready for the day.
I need to get some armor for Naofumi and food as well!
i leave a glass of fresh water on his bedside and enter the shower i quickly get ready and hurriedly get dressed.
She is about to start breakfast when she hears someone stirring on the bed behind her and sees Naofumi already awake and groggy from bad sleep. He seemed to take a moment before his face morphed into a strict frown. I can't blame him for his bad mood, i thought sadly... but, perhaps i could make him feel less alone?

"Morning, Naofumi!"  

Naofumi looked at me and for a second his face loosened up and he didn't look so guarded, that alone made my heart jitter in relief. He's not closing me out fully

"Morning Vera..." 
He stalked over to the the bathroom and before he could close the door i spoke up for his attention. "Naofumi, i'm going to buy some bread and a set of clothes for you." Naofumi looked around the small room and nodded. 
"Are you okay on your own?" he asked, whereas i nod with confidence.

"I won't be long! just take your time and i'll be right back." I give him a convincing smile and he nods "okay, be careful" he responds and i quickly leaves to get the items.

[Around 75 min later] 
I quickly rush up the stairs of the in with shaky legs.
Clutching a set of shoes and a simple outfit against my chest with a despondent expression.
I felt both angry and sad.... both disappointed and humiliated.
Now standing outside the door to our room i gathered the last of my spirits (and courage) I can't show weakness or poor fate infront of him, i already promised i'd protect him!
I knocked on the door and walked inside "Naofumi, i'm back!" my voice sounded way to forced.
The male sat up on the bed as I walked up to him handing him the new clothes.

"I-Im sorry..... this was all i could afford...." 
The feeling of shame increased ten times over as he looked at the ordinary garments that was no armor. it was a simple outfit like any others.
I quickly turnaround to let him change and he does so i busy myself with tidying up the room.
The innkeeper was tossing us out today even refusing us food.
I shake in anger when i see that even my own things had either been stolen or tarnished beyond repair. I don't know how to face my friend..... i have no idea what to do now.

"Naofumi... we should, we should head back to my uncles.... i've been thinking and there is a lot of rare plants in the woods around it.... perhaps we could sell some to the herbalist?" I boil some water and take out the ration i had left from my journey yesterday. 
No matter how i felt my first priority was and had to be Naofumi.... "It's only a few hours away..." 
I hear him walk up behind me placing a warm hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry...... I should have never left...." I spit out.
"I said i was your friend but i..... I wasn't here when you needed me to be... Naofumi i'm sorry." 
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Naofumi frowned and turned her around.
He placed his hands on her shaking shoulders "Don't..." he said, "you have done what you can... more importantly you where there exactly when i did need you." Vera felt tears build in her eyes.
"You trust me and you defended me, you have nothing to be sorry for Vera, thank you. Thank you for trusting me." 

She wraps her arms around him in a tight hug, mashing her face into his chest.
Naofumi hugs her back gently stroking her head, He meant every word of his, without Vera he might have become someone horrible... horrible and alone.
He could go on because there was a single person who believed him.
Someone who was never going to betray him, She's his sword and he's her shield.... No Matter what he'd never let anyone take her away from him.
His only ray of light in this rotting murky world he'd come to despise.