23

Joe's POV:
I stood in the centre of the room, waiting for Dianne.
I could hear footsteps coming up to the door, and then the sound of keys.
Slowly, the door opened and the redhead stepped in with her phone in her hand.
She dropped her stuff down, still holding the packet of paracetamol in her other hand.
She looked up, seeing me in the middle of the room ahead of her.
Her hazel eyes locked with my eyes, a look of confusion written on her face.
Then, she noticed the rectangular box in my hand.
She opened her mouth to say something, but I stopped her.
'Dianne, I know that you might not want to be my girlfriend... But I want you to know that you mean a lot to me... And over the past few weeks you've made me so happy, happier than I could've ever imagined.'
She smiled slightly, leaning against the wall.
'I know this might sound soppy, but I couldn't imagine a life without you. Without the laughter, jokes. Without everything.'
Gently, I untie the ribbon from around the box.
'Whether you want to be my girlfriend or not, I got you this as a promise.'
Dianne stopped forward, our hands brushing as she took the box from my hand.
''A promise that I'll look after you, always make you happy and put you first before anyone else.'
Hesitantly, she took off the lid and gasped.
'You didn't...' she said, but it came out as a whisper.
She delicately held up the chain necklace with the ruby, the one I'd got for her when I saw her staring at it through the glass.
She broke out into a wide smile before kissing my passionately.
'I've made my decision.' She said when she pulled away.
'I would love to be your girlfriend.'
It was my turn to grin, as I pulled my girlfriend into another hug.
'Right, pass me the necklace.' I say, and she handed it over.
I took her hand and spun her around, making her giggle.
I clasped the necklace at the back before spinning her back around.
'It looks perfect on you.'
A light blush spread across her cheeks, and she buried her head in my chest.
'I'm guessing you're feeling better.'
I nod, glancing at my phone.
'Also, do you think we can take a little detour today, not going back to London?'
She nodded.
'I love a good adventure.'