Chapter 54: The Lady's Carriage

Since it was inevitable, Annette was left in low spirits again that day. Not only will her best friend leaving, but even her big-brother-turned boss was also going away ... again. Even the easily coaxed testing subject was gone. There were days where they were all away from the outpost, but it pulled her spirits down seeing them all leave for the same place ... without her.

Crow was in the same room as the dispirited Annette, taking his prolonged breakfast. Just earlier, he heard Mitra woke up—the next, he was leaving for Orvel ... with the angels and the Archmage of Purple. He should have gone with them as well since his bounty was walking around unsupervised ... then again, what could he do when Annette was like this? He felt so much pity for a little girl like her to be watching over a military outpost when she should be—ah, no, Annette might have a different notion of 'playing.' She had nothing to study anymore after all.

Mediana was stuck in the same position as Crow, but she had her own pros in the situation. She might not be able to return to Orvel even though the conflict was over, but she had found good subjects to test her medicine on. She just needed to inject it in a cup of homemade pudding, and the bee would come flying to the nectar.

Viska and Ezekiel were also asked to keep Annette company. They wouldn't probably meet any demons in the capital so it would be better for them to hunt stray demon scouts just around the outpost. Nyx decided to stay as well, trying to find a way to make sure Velkinoth wouldn't be retrieved by the demons. He ought to not get too close to Mitra for now—not when the wolf had not vented his anger just yet.

In short, to not alert the castle and to keep the outpost still guarded, only Mitra, Aisha, and Aselica were escorting Arch to the Great Priestess Iris somewhere in Orvel. All they had was a single carriage with Priscilla as the chauffeur. They could be few in number, but they should be enough for any kind of small fry that would attack them.

However, the headache wasn't from anyone that attacked them from outside the carriage; it was staring at right at his face. Mitra only kept a bitter grin as he noticed Aisha locking her eyes at him during the ride. He was sitting opposite of her, next to Arch who was sleeping yet again. The purple marks had grown too dark over the night, telling them that his energy was already expended. Just like Viska, he would have to hibernate at this phase. Aselica was next to Aisha, who was noticing the odd air, but she couldn't exactly pinpoint what was going on. It was not like anyone else knew—but Aisha.

It was noticeable that she kept on whipping her hair to her back, uncomfortable of leaving her hair down for the rest of the day. Despite being curled almost every day, her hair stayed straight—flowing like a golden falls from her head. The staring contest only ended when the road got rocky, making Mitra lean against his seat and close his eyes to rest.

"Priscilla, I don't remember the ride to the capital being this ... shaky." Aisha held her frustration as she spoke to her maid. "Did we take a different path today?"

"No, milady. I'll steer clear of the puddles. Excuse the bouncing."

"Please do." The young miss huffed before noticing Mitra's giggling. Knowing that none of them had spoken aside from her, she was quite lost as to what he found funny. She looked at Aselica who was only watching Arch, trying to not get involved with the suffocating wind. The Archmage huffed. "What seems to be amusing to you, Mister Mitra?"

"Shhh, don't wake up Arch." Mitra only gestured a shushing hand, trying to contain his own giggling. But his eyes remained closed. "I'd feel too guilty."

"Guilty?" The two women asked in unison, but they were answered by silence. 

The carriage continued to rock unlike what Priscilla promised. Aisha huffed as she looked at the direction of the chauffeur's seat. When she looked at Mitra again, one of his eyes was open. However, he was looking at Aselica's direction. Another deep crater made the wheel grove up and down again. Mitra closed his eye as he shook his head.

He then just laughed out, loud enough for Priscilla to hear. "Do your lady a favor and stop playing!"

The maid answered from the seat. "I have no knowledge of what you talking about." However, the carriage seemed to shift to a different side of the road, letting them enjoy a rather smooth ride from there on.

Whatever happened in the carriage was still a question to Aisha even when they were standing inside the church. The Great Priestess Iris had already come to meet them. She was discussing the details of the purification, but Aisha was too distracted to even listen fully. Her gaze lifted up to Mitra, seeing how attentive he was to whatever the Great Priestess was saying.

It would take a while, and the rest of the entourage was asked to stay out the room for now. Only Aselica was allowed in for she was needed. Mitra and Aisha was left in the chapel to wait; however, the wolf motioned to leave the church. Aisha eyed at Priscilla before following the wolf outside.

"Where are you going? Aren't you going to wait?" Aisha picked up her dress as she tried to catch up with the man.

"I'm just going to go somewhere not suitable for children. Go back." Mitra chuckled, keeping his real thoughts to himself.

"I am not a child anymore. I may be young, but I'm not a child." Aisha huffed and fixed her posture, displaying her air of superiority as an esteemed aristocrat. She even opened her parasol to keep the sun off of her skin.

Mitra only sighed in resignation as he continued to walk the streets. Walking with such a beautiful young woman whose demeanor screamed 'noble' took unnecessary attention. However, the young miss continued to walk with her chin up. Then again, she noticed Mitra pause and take a turn at an alley. Before she knew it, he stopped in front of a bar and kept the door open for her.

With a smirk, he spoke. "After you."