11. Somehow I Know We'll Be Fine

Start from the beginning

"Owen Filgard is taking my place at the bachelor auction in return. I know it's crazy, but chances are, I would have agreed to it anyway so I might as well get something for my time—and suffering."

Lewis's lip quirked. "Well, as ridiculous as this scheme is, it might be just what you need."

He raised an eyebrow. "What does that mean?"

"Just that you spend way too much time worrying about your family. Living with Zari might actually be good for you."

Gabriel leaned forward and rested his arms on his knees, letting his hands dangle between his legs. He didn't see anything positive about the situation. No matter the outcome, everything was going to screw up. She'd eventually come to her senses and remember everything - her family's betrayal over letting her believe that he was her boyfriend. She'd probably file a restraining order against him for going along with this chaos.

"There's nothing good about this. I'm lying to her. Hell, we're all lying to her and once she finds out, provided she gets her memory back, she won't be happy about it, and I can't blame her. Tell me something. When and if she does realize I'm not her boyfriend, will she remember begging to go home with me?"

Lewis considered him for a lengthy minute. "Probably. Why?"

'Because then she might forgive me. You know, once she realizes it wasn't my idea and sees it for what it is—me trying to help her, not take advantage."

"Advantage as in having sex with her?"

Gabriel ran a hand over his weary face. He might not know Zari Davis well, but he sure as hell knew she'd expect sex. From the way she kissed him, she'd be willing to do it in her hospital bed. He wouldn't allow himself to touch her, though. It wasn't right. She didn't know anything, and that made her unable to truly consent. That didn't mean it wouldn't take every bit of willpower to ignore her advances without outright moving out of his own house to Antarctica while she was there.  "Damn right. Don't you think so?"

"As it turns out, I can give you some help on that front. Once released, Dr. Rodriguez advised her not to do anything strenuous enough to elevate her blood pressure for a couple of weeks. She's to walk every day adding a little more distance each time. Not brisk. Just regular pace."

Gabriel leaned back and blew out a breath. His nerves were shot. All this tension was hanging over his head like the sword of Damocles. "Thank God. By then, she'll be gone." That solved one of his problems, at least. The last thing he wanted was her to get upset because he refused to take advantage of her vulnerability and lack of memory.

Lewis glanced at his watch, then stood. "Just in case, other than the injuries she sustained in the car accident, she's healthy."

"I don't understand. Just in case what?"

Lewis laughed so hard he threw his head back. "That she stays longer than a fortnight and you can't fight her off."

Gabriel rose and gave him an easy shoulder punch. "Knock it off. This isn't funny. Besides, not gonna happen. Now that the two-week no sex rule is in play, regardless if she gets her past back or not, I'm not extending the agreement." Two weeks was two too long to deal with that predicament. He couldn't survive any longer than that, especially if she was throwing herself at him. He was probably going to have to jerk off in the bathroom every night to stay away from her.

"I get it. All I'm saying is if she convinces you otherwise, then she's safe. No STD's, and she has a current prescription for birth control."

He could feel his face heat up traitorously. Since saving Zari, Gabriel had given that idea a lot of thought. Sex with his soon to be housemate wasn't repulsive. Just the opposite. There was nothing he'd like more than to kiss her senseless. Breathe her in. Explore her body. Bury his head between her thighs. But just one problem. "Even if I wanted to, I can't. She thinks I'm someone else. She has a boyfriend. A real one." Gabriel locked eyes with Lewis, regarding him warily. "Wait a minute. Didn't you just break your privacy code?"